What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (1 Viewer)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
For anyone in the Toronto area, the Lightbox is having a big Trek retrospective, with screenings of all the films and some of the TV episodes:

http://www.tiff.net/?view=grid&pandi=hide&mode=on-now&programme=50 Years of Star Trek&

The Motion Picture is screening on Friday, September 30th, introduced by Douglas Trumbull:

http://www.tiff.net/events/star-trek-the-motion-picture-introduced-by-douglas-trumbull/

The next day, Nicholas Meyer is introducing a screening of the director's cut of Wrath of Khan:

http://www.tiff.net/films/star-trek-ii-the-wrath-of-khan-directors-cut/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I would love to see a 35mm print of TMP sometime in my life... alas, Toronto is a little far for me at the moment. But it sounds like a great event. Both Trumbull and Meyer are great talkers.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Funny but the last time I saw TMP theatrically in 35mm was on a double bill with The First Nudie Musical!:P

*edit. FIRST nudie musical.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hi Neil and Bruce

At the State Theater in Jersey City New Jersey ( in Journal Square right around the corner from the famous Loews Jersey) I believe in 1980. Really weird double feature. What I remember most is that The FIRST Nudie musical just ended weirdly. Apparently the last reel was never delivered. :angry:

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Hi Neil and Bruce

At the State Theater in Jersey City New Jersey ( in Journal Square right around the corner from the famous Loews Jersey) I believe in 1980. Really weird double feature. What I remember most is that The FIRST Nudie musical just ended weirdly. Apparently the last reel was never delivered. :angry:

Yes, it would end VERY weirdly if it was missing the final reel! :) That is a GREAT double bill though - Star Trek: The Motion Picture and The First Nudie Musical have much in common.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Egads! The Jersey City State Theater! Spent a lot of time there as a kid. The last time I recall being there was 1981's For Your Eyes Only. The theater wasn't the palace that Loews was, across the street (Loews is being restored and still shows classic films; I saw Metropolis there about 10 years ago).

Alas, I did not see TMP at the State. I saw it in a few other theaters in New Jersey in '79 (Totowa and Cedar Grove, I believe). Last time I saw TMP on the movie screens was in '91 at Lowes Astor Plaza in NYC, a marathon of the first 5 films, with the world premiere of the trailer for VI.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Sam

I pretty much spent my entire childhood at those three theaters in Jersey City. The Loews Jersey and the State mostly but also the Stanley (now a Jehovah's Witness hall [emoji15]). Even the Pix. And of course the Hudson Mall theaters which had Dolby stereo!

The Loews Jersey is actually showing Casablanca next weekend in 35mm. That's where I first saw TMP. On its rerelease I saw it at the State.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Man, I remember walking into that Loews as a kid and thinking this was a palace. Having such a grand place to show movies influenced how I thought about movies. I grew up in Bayonne; we used to have field trips to the Loews.

Sorry to take this off track, fellow Trekkers!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just can't justify rebuying this set when I own everything else in it already and of equal quality. Especially since I'll be buying the Roddenberry Vault, where I'll be rebuying twelve episodes just to get 3 hours of bonus features. If I bought this set too, I'd be double dipping in the same year, tripple dipping overall, on the exact same HD masters I've had since 2009.

On the other hand, if Paramount had remastered all of the films as the did with TWOK, or put the Roddenberry Vault features in this set, I'd do it.

This is a great set at a good price for someone new to Trek or someone buying physical copies for the first time, but it's a lousy purchase for fans and collectors. And while I'm happy to buy everything on Blu-ray once to show my support, I think its unreasonable that Lay in this interview is essentially asking fans to buy this repackage of existing content just to get Paramount to maybe think about doing DS9 or Voyager. I'm not buying TWOK or TOS for a third time on Blu-ray as part of a "pretty please give me the thing I really want" plea. I saw Roger Lay at the convention, and he came across as a knowledgable, passionate fan whose heart was in the right place. But I think it's disingenuous to suggest that if they sell enough box sets that DS9 will be next.

When I remember the enthusiasm from the BBC for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, I just get depressed seeing what Paramount has done for Trek's 50th. If it was owned by another studio like Sony, I bet at the least we'd be getting gorgeous new masters of the theatrical versions at the very least.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just can't justify rebuying this set when I own everything else in it already and of equal quality. Especially since I'll be buying the Roddenberry Vault, where I'll be rebuying twelve episodes just to get 3 hours of bonus features. If I bought this set too, I'd be double dipping in the same year, tripple dipping overall, on the exact same HD masters I've had since 2009.

On the other hand, if Paramount had remastered all of the films as the did with TWOK, or put the Roddenberry Vault features in this set, I'd do it.

This is a great set at a good price for someone new to Trek or someone buying physical copies for the first time, but it's a lousy purchase for fans and collectors. And while I'm happy to buy everything on Blu-ray once to show my support, I think its unreasonable that Lay in this interview is essentially asking fans to buy this repackage of existing content just to get Paramount to maybe think about doing DS9 or Voyager. I'm not buying TWOK or TOS for a third time on Blu-ray as part of a "pretty please give me the thing I really want" plea. I saw Roger Lay at the convention, and he came across as a knowledgable, passionate fan whose heart was in the right place. But I think it's disingenuous to suggest that if they sell enough box sets that DS9 will be next.

When I remember the enthusiasm from the BBC for Doctor Who's 50th anniversary, I just get depressed seeing what Paramount has done for Trek's 50th. If it was owned by another studio like Sony, I bet at the least we'd be getting gorgeous new masters of the theatrical versions at the very least.

I feel the same way.....

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I feel the same way.....
lpddu.jpg

;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Tell me about it Josh. I think I triple dipped on the TOS DVD sets! If Lay's extras were to make their way onto a future film box set that's remastered, that would be nice.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The Vault has 10 hours of new bonus material. 2 and 1/2 hours of which is commentary.

My understanding, from the panel, is that the Vault has three hours of new documentaries. That's what I was calculating the running time on. There are three new commentaries which I guess could be counted as another two hours or so. I would not count the isolated scores as new for the sake of running time, but I understand that others might.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks