What's new

Paramount+ Star Trek: Discovery - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
More info from Trekmovie.com:

Star Trek Executive Producer Bryan Fuller today announced at San Diego Comic Con that the new Star Trek series set to debut in January 2017 will be called Star Trek Discovery. The series will focus on the adventures of the U.S.S. Discovery, a ship of an unknown class with the registry NCC-1031, set in the Prime Timeline.

UDPATES: During the subsequent press interviews producer Heather Kadin exclusively told Trekmovie.com that the design for the U.S.S. Discovery is not final.
When asked about the increased representation of the new series Kadin said that women and LGBTQ characters (on and off screen) will be important to Star Trek Discovery.

With all the “STD” jokes floating around, John van Citters of CBS took to Twitter to say that the new series is officially being referred to as DSC when an abbreviation is needed.

Bryan Fuller:

One of the most beautiful things of Star Trek is that you have people who see this show and they want to be scientists, they want to make it into space, we have to celebrate a progression of our species, because it seems right now we as a species need a little help. There’s nothing like the guiding light that Gene Roddenberry hung high in the sky.

Glad to read the design of the ship isn't final.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ No, that got debunked by Bryan Fuller a few weeks ago:

http://www.trekcore.com/blog/2016/06/bryan-fuller-shoots-down-two-star-trek-2017-rumors/

Eh... Yes and no.

A lot of numbers across the series were sequential. But there have always been outliers... the Constitution class Constellation, a sister ship of the Enterprise, was NCC-1017 (because they just flipped the numbers on an AMT model to use in the show... why they didn't just use 1710 is anyone's guess)
According to books like The Making of Star Trek, the USS Constellation's registry-number was indeed supposed to be "NCC-1710," but the model-maker screwed it all up when putting together the "kit-bashed" version of the Constitution-class model for that episode, and accidentally transposed three of the registry-numbers.

By the time the model was finished, it was too late to go back and fix the mistake.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Another funny thought that just hit me -- what if this show is set early enough prior to TOS to canonically cover the time-period that the Axanar fanfilm is set in?

All that effort, LOL. Alec Peters is probably shitting kittens right now.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Hey Lou! Yeah, the bad old days before there was an Internet and Starlog was our main source of info for sci-fi and movie info. :)
Starlog was a fantastic magazine. The first magazine I know of that dealt with SF written by real journalists. It was a sad day when they stopped publishing Starlog.

BTW, I recognized some of those paintings only because they are in my Starlogs (#13 maybe?)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Another funny thought that just hit me -- what if this show is set early enough prior to TOS to canonically cover the time-period that the Axanar fanfilm is set in?

All that effort, LOL. Alec Peters is probably shitting kittens right now.

Maybe that's one of the reasons that CBS/Paramount were so litigious - it was one thing if they were making that project when it wasn't really going to have anything to do with the Trek currently being produced, but if it turns out that they wanted to make something in a similar period, that makes the CBS/Paramount objection even more understandable.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Maybe that's one of the reasons that CBS/Paramount were so litigious - it was one thing if they were making that project when it wasn't really going to have anything to do with the Trek currently being produced, but if it turns out that they wanted to make something in a similar period, that makes the CBS/Paramount objection even more understandable.

When I saw the look of the ship, that was the first thing I thought... "Wait, wasn't Axanar supposed to be set in this 20-ish years prior to TOS time period this ship looks to come from?"

But then I thought I was reading too much into things and someone would think I was a fanboy looking for conspiracy theories, and didn't say anything.

Glad to know others had the same thought!

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
I just don't like the look of the ship at all, I have never liked that piece of old concept art. It just doesn't look like Star Trek IMO, more like some fan made ship trying to mimic Star Trek. IDK, maybe it will grow on me but, right now I'm not feeling it.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
That concept always looked like the Enterprise and a Star Destroyer had a baby. I remember the old concept art too. Even as a kid, I thought it was to spot-on trying to look like Star Wars.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Joel, you beat me to it. Since that design concept was done by Ken Adam in the late 1970's, it certainly feels like the Star Destroyer influenced the design!

The producers were questioned about this at Comic Con and only said its not finished yet. The producer Heather Kadin said that promo was thrown together in 3 weeks to show the fans the amazing (her words) new score by Fil Eisler. The design of the ship is what they were going for and will be "honed" up to the day of delivery.

The series must have some theme that lined up with that wedge design. But to me, it feels wrong. Hopefully the fan base is letting them know they don't like it. And they seem to be doing that.

Last edited:

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
They wanted to "show fans the amazing score." I thought the music was forgettable. Typical modern blockbuster noise IMO. No where near as memorable as the other Trek series' themes. It really doesn't take much musically to impress producers these days.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
I'm not a fan of the look of the Discovery either. Hope it does change. So we're looking at a time period between Enterprise and The Original Series? Hmm, my enthusiasm dims a little at this as it the new series will be even further continuity corner painted.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I think the ship looks great, and I hope the final version is as close to that artwork as it can be.

If it is set between Enterprise and TOS, it's a way around avoiding the contradictions of the Kelvin timeline.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I think the ship looks great, and I hope the final version is as close to that artwork as it can be.

If it is set between Enterprise and TOS, it's a way around avoiding the contradictions of the Kelvin timeline.
because_nero_zps0odawibx.jpg

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma

I'm happy it's back in the original timeline too but there is way more potential for continuity infractions in it than the Kelvin timeline.

Was hoping for something post-TNG.

I remember a fan proposal for exploring the Andromeda galaxy. I really like that idea.

The ship looks too military while the name Discover heavily evokes exploration. The two don't gibe aesthetically to me.

Last edited:

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
^ If it's set during the Robert April-era (of which we only canonically have one TAS episode, "The Time Trap," establishing anything concrete), it should be super wide-open for stories -- and even the Christopher Pike-era is actually pretty open and free, too, with only one episode ("The Cage") taking place within it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
About that wedge design for the Discovery, I also have been thinking of a ship that's partially seen in the opening credits of Enterprise. It vaguely has a shape like the Discovery. That design though is before the NX-01. So the Discovery could be a later version of that ship.

Here's the screen capture from Trekcore:

image.jpeg

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't understand the ship design. It doesn't feel very Star Trek to me, but I'll keep an open mind.

Is this still a CBS streaming exclusive? Any prospect of Netflix, Cable, or other distribution?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks