What's new

Staining Gurus (1 Viewer)

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
I am working on DIY speaker stands, a la "TNT Stubby". I've chosen Mahogany as the wood (this wood is freakin dense) :P. I am currenty in the process of finishing my stain with a urethane coating. I was wondering if sanding with 220 is required before applying a 2nd coat (per the instructions)? I'm scared the finish may not come out right.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I assume you're using Minwax poly? I gave up on sanding with 220 on poly a couple of years ago. I much prefer using 600 grit paper. I found myself sanding off the poly as well as the stain even lightly sanding with 220.

I also gave up on Minwax poly. I'd contact Old Dad's and find out of they have an unfinished furniture dealer near you that sells their polys under a house name. I started using their polys a couple of years ago and will never go back to Minwax ever again. It just looks like plastic vs. the Old Dad's stuff which really looks like a fine finish.

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
Wow that was quick, thanx. Yes I am using miniwax. Their stain is working to my liking. I'm gonna go ahead and try 600 then because I've already applied the 1st coat. Thanx for the advice, as staining is a long and time consuming process. (isn't it?!) :P I couldn't imagine trying the 220 without asking 1st.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I've used the Minwax wipe on polys from time to time when I'm in a hurry and it's all I've got. Even then, I use 600 grit paper. You get a much smoother, silkier finish.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Realize that all oil base clear coats like the Minwax will amber over time, some consider this a desirable attribute. However, if some of the surface is painted like a project I did, the ambering was a disaster as it turned the whitish paint into a dull piss yellow after a bout a year. I use a waterborne poly clear from Sherwin Williams from now on, just in case.

Ben_Caoile

Agent
Real Name
Ben Caoile
I used a Red Mahogany stain because I wanted a dark finish (not just because I used mahogany :P), they recommended against using a waterborne stain when using that color.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks