What's new

Spinal Tap II (2024) (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
Maybe that will be the focus on this sequel....to poke fun at all the old rock stars that are still out there doing it.
Yes I think it’s a lock that there will be jokes about 70 something guys still touring, and there are a good amount of them (Alice Cooper, Sammy Hagar, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, just to name a few). Those improv geniuses can likely come up with some funny, if not cringe-worthy stuff about aging.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
McKean, Guest and Shearer certainly have more talent even at their ages than most today, but I’m in the “please don’t do this” camp. The odds that this IP could still be allowed to be funny in this day and age is 1000-1. Even if this becomes 100% than coming to America 2, that still multiplying by an infinitesimal factor.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Yes I think it’s a lock that there will be jokes about 70 something guys still touring, and there are a good amount of them (Alice Cooper, Sammy Hagar, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, just to name a few). Those improv geniuses can likely come up with some funny, if not cringe-worthy stuff about aging.

Well, I just went to a Geezer Rock show last week, The Who, and I can say Pete Townsend definitely is in on the joke. He thanked the crowd and said it was good to be anywhere at his age and his banter throughout the evening was very Spinal Tap. They should probably have Pete and Roger appear in the film.

I will say though, Roger (78) and Pete (77) look and sound great at this stage. Pete probably looks better at 77 than he did at 27 and Roger is seemingly ageless and has to be in the best shape of any of the Geezer Rock singers still out there doing it.

So, a new Spinal Tap film has plenty of material to work, it is really about how they work it.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I really see a gag centered around the band being told they can't play Big Bottoms as probably being hilarious but should be pushed way out into that area of being hilariously inappropriate.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Like the original but these guys are way too old now (mid to late 70s) to be still playing rock stars. Plus I think they've already milked this shtick as far as it'll go.
Yeah, agreed...are you listening Jagger?!!!
mick jagger GIF by GoPop

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Like the original but these guys are way too old now (mid to late 70s) to be still playing rock stars. Plus I think they've already milked this shtick as far as it'll go.
A few thoughts from someone who actually saw This Is Spinal Tap on its theatrical release. The news of a sequel 40 years later instills a combination of excitement and terror in me. Anchorman 2 and Ghostbusters 2 - how absolutely rotten, as sequels for comedy classics. In 2024: Spinal Tap 2. The concept is quite good, actually. It uses the idea that Christopher Guest uses in all his films (Guffman, Best In Show and Mighty Wind), which is that the drama builds towards a performance. So, the structure of Spinal Tap 2, is going to be that the manager, Ian Faith, who's died in the film (in real life, the actor Tony Hendra has died), his wife has a contract which says that Spinal Tap were contracted to play one more show and she will sue them if they don't. The three members have to therefore reunite and perform a show.

Part of the reason they are doing this is that they get huge credit for Spinal Tap. Every time one of the members goes on a chat show, somebody eventually wants to talk about Spinal Tap. None of the actors made any money out of it the first time round, because of they way it was done. It was done on a minuscule budget, there was no script. They knew what the "in" was for each take - the part of the plot they had to allude to was - and they knew what the "out" was, and the rest in between was completely improvised. However, this time around, they're going to get a 2022 deal for streaming and the audience will be there.

I think there's rich comedy potential for what they've been doing in the last 40 years. The great joke of Spinal Tap, is that once you've seen it, the idea of it just lodges in your mind. You see these pictures of these men, who clearly have middle-aged faces in 1984, trying to play for teenagers. They look as though they ought to be over the garden wall with their neighbours, discussing lawnmowers, or traffic calming issues, but instead, they've got these ridiculous wigs and are wearing leopard spandex trousers. It's the contrast between these haircuts and old faces. Does that get funnier when they're in their 70's? The biggest challenge will be them dealing with the passage of time, in making the film work.

They're still terribly funny and terribly talented people. It might work.

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
So the group is contractually obligated to play another show. OK, but where this film could turn ludicrous is their explanation for why anyone would want to see the group now. I guess there’s going to be a lot of talk and hand wringing about ticket sales for the show.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
So the group is contractually obligated to play another show. OK, but where this film could turn ludicrous is their explanation for why anyone would want to see the group now. I guess there’s going to be a lot of talk and hand wringing about ticket sales for the show.
Guy Grandpa GIF

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I am an enormous fan of the original and am usually very dubious when it comes to sequels...

That said, I'm looking forward to see how the band's weathered the years. These guys (actors and directors) have all done good-to-great work in the intervening years so I will give them every opportunity to impress.

Clark Green

BANNED
Real Name
Clark Green
I plan to see it in the theater like I did when the first one hit theaters in the 80's !

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
He would have been in his seventies, but I'm sad that Bruno Kirby isn't around to reprise his role. There was so much cut footage with him in the first one that made it onto various releases, and it was all so funny.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Imagine being picked up by the same limo driver only to receive another Sinatra lesson. I’d have died in my seat. And yes I will be there on day one in the theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks