What's new

Spider-Man -films (Blu-ray) on 10-30-07 (1 Viewer)

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member

People weren't expecting new supplements for SM1/SM2, they were expecting the current ones to be ported over. If they wanted to provide new extras and found out they couldn't in time, there's no excuse to not port over the existing ones - it's better than having nothing.

Of course this is Sony... they're known for milking customers on their re-re-re-releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I agree but when it's content that's been available for years and can easily be ported over, it can only come off as Sony is holding back just so they can re-release the titles as special editions when Spider-Man 4 comes out.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i agree travis.
the "time" comment just doesnt ,make sense to me

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

ha, that animated gif really sums up how much this movie missed its mark and the point of the spiderman character. i won't go as far as saying it was forced to cater or in the very least explore the emo generation , i doubt Raimi is that much of a shill, however, he did bend to producer's demands to include Venom and treated the character as a half-assed plot point.

btw, i'm sorry for using the world abortion to describe Spiderman 3. however, few words can describe how awful this film is (especially when compared to its predecessors.) next time i'll just curse, which is probably the classier way to go.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
paul, that was probaly only me who was against caling a movie an abortion.

a couple folks defended you and no one else even responded to it.
since it was only a big deal to me there isnt any need to apologize
or even think about it again.

i hated the emo stuff in this movie and
whatever raimi might say about it there is no way he can justify that crap in this movie.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
I'd love to buy the first two, extras or not. But my choice is to purchase a third film (driving up the already exorbitant cost) I absolutely do not want, or to buy nothing until they provide me exactly what I want. Which is at least 8 months after this release (to milk the "trilogy"). Easy choice these days. No sale on something I don't want, even a partial :)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway

I agree that it makes no sense if they withhold the currently made bonus content, but we have no statement about this either way.

I haven't even looked at any of the bonus on my Spider-Man 1 & 2 DVDs since I bought them, so it's no big loss to me personally.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Maybe, maybe not. Q4 is already loaded with releases to break my personal bank. And, frankly, the third movie was a massive letdown. I've got the first two on regular DVD...might be nice to upgrade them, but if Sony isn't going to do it right, I'll spend my money on something that is done right.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
I never really cared for any of the Spider Man films.

None of them could grab me. And the third one was terrible. Terrrrrible.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

yeah- this is going to be one big event release that will be easy to pass on for now. I do love S-m2, but only love 1/2 of the first one. But the whole negative vibe associated with the third one makes me not all that eager to see any of them again anytime soon.

Luckily this frees up money that will be better spent elsewhere anyway.

Just realized something- no extras on the first two films means they will most likely be Bd 25s. And the second disc of S-m3 is likely to be a Bd 25 as well. Betcha yields are still too weak to take a chance with 2 extra titles when they can just do them bare bones on Bd 25s and in a sense make them the 'special features' of a box set.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Amazon has the box set up for pre-order now at $69.25. Once they assign the 10% HDM discount to it, I will pre-order it for $62.33, which is a little over $20 a movie.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
A bit more expensive then I was expecting. Or maybe I'm getting spoiled with Warner's Blade Runner set. But if they were sold individually at $20 a film, I would say that really isn't all that bad.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Spider-man 3 is no doubt overpriced. No single title should have a $50 MSRP. That's almost as insane as charging $217 for a single season of a 40 year old TV show. Almost.

I can't complain too much about the Trilogy set price which even without the 10% discount will come to a little over $23 per movie.

About $3 more than the average standard Warner, Sony or Universal catalog release and pretty much the same (or a buck or two less) I'd pay for the average Paramount, Disney and Universal Combo title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sony is definitely trying to cash in with this release and Close Encounters. It will be interesting to see how consumers respond to this $50 MSRP? If you're a fan of these films then buying the trilogy is your best bargain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Correct, but the pricing of that title came out of the same decision-making process used for Spider-Man 3 which is what I'm saying.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure what is going on with Amazon's pricing today, it was lower (a lot lower) yesterday. There are a few places where you can still pre-order the box set sub $70, and I've done so just in case this crazy pricing sticks, but I agree its is getting ridiculous. With both HDM formats it seems like one day its one step forward, the next two steps back.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
While I agree Close Encounters is priced too high, I'm a little more forgiving of it since it's a classic that's essentially being restored (under Spielberg) with three versions. However, that price for Spider-man 3 is almost insane.
With that said, I'll probably just try to buy the boxset under $70 since I want all three films anyway. I agree it will be interesting how consumers will react to this pricing. But, I suspect both Close Encounters, Spider-man boxset, and Spider-man 3 individually will wind up on the top 10 Blu-ray disc sales for several weeks when released. Of course, that's not to say sales wouldn't be even better with lower pricing - I think Sony sees this as an experiment of sorts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks