What's new

Speakers.. speakers..speakers... (1 Viewer)

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hello!
Looking for speakers to go with either an Onkyo 706, No, Haven't bought it yet.

I went to Best Buy and went into their "High End" Speaker room.

Some of the brands in there were of course Polk-Audio,and Klipsch..I saw the klipschWB14 bookshelf speaker (espresso color finish to match the new component furniture piece) but their price was $600 a pair!

I also saw Definitive technology 5.1 speaker system for $800.00,he said the 10" sub was 200w,but the center speaker was so small and funky looking.
To buy as separates...I'm guessing these are better than the $800.oo bundle set.
The PromoN1000's
Mains were $440.00 a pair.
Surrounds were $440.00 a pair.
the SubPro1000 for $500.00, and the
Center CRL2002 for $530.00,
This is about $1900.00!!!! Thanks, but no thanks.

They also had Mirage, and yet another expensive $1500.00 for a 5.1 system,but that name escapes me.Sorry.

I never made it to the stand alone small home theater shop yet..he sells all kinds of speakers he rattled off to which I have never heard of like Paradigm to name one. I never heard him say Hsu or SVS, but for his overhead and expenses, I'm thinking he's going to be over the top for me anyway.

Best Buy does not sell Onkyo, but like the old "Good Guys" electronic stores, they push the Denons,and Yamaha's, along with the high priced Monster cables. Line input.output splitter is a measkly $55.00!!!!

He was also trying to sell me a Yamaha663, instead of the Onkyo 606,or the 705 AVR. (he thought I had my BB credit card) I decided I do not want the higher watt AVR that uses the 4 and 6 ohm speakers, I want something cooler,so I'll use the 8-ohm speakers.

Another concern is speaker placement. I don't really have room for floorstanders, but maybe have to accommodate this thought because of the way this small room is laid out. Mobile home,double wide,12'x9' TV is on the long wall width wall with a door into the bedroom on the right of that wall. I could hang the speaker in the corner above the door but if I use 18 or 16 wire, it will be hard to hide around the door jam or under the carpet. I could also place the mount on a stud on the left side of the door, and on the wall, fish the wire along side the stud into the hollow wall and hope I could find it somewhere below...or just get the floorstanders. Thanks again guys. I'm going to research SVsound next.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What is you budget? You mention some numbers that are too high, but what can you spend?

I like the 705 (i you can find it on clearance). I have a mixture of 6 and 8 ohm speakers (Axioms) and it works great. It does not overheat at all - the fan has never been on. My room is small though, so I don't really push it hard.

HSU and SVS are internet direct brands and are not sold in stores. For subs you can't beat them. I've heard good things about SVS speakers as well.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi David and thanks for the reply...
Polk RM705's go for $400.00 on Amazon, but wondering about the quality. I like the Polk Center CSi25, but that is $ 170.00 alone. I would like to have a better Center than the one in the bundle. Good mains, but less on the Sub and surrounds, I guess.

Your answer? My budget is very low budget, but I don't want to get the cheap Bravia HTiab speaker system my friend across the street got with his 52W4100 LCD, and those tiny,dinky speakers he's got on the wall with the dinky center speaker underneath his wall mounted TV and sad to say, it sucks BIG TIME!

BUDGET? well, It depends if I spend $320.00 on the Onkyo 606, or $500.00 for the Yamaha 663, but aside from whatever AVR I get, I was thinking of spending about $600.00 MAX for speakers, including the sub, if that's possible. If not, well I'll shine on the sub for now.

I know at the minimum, I should spend $150.00 ea. for two fronts and two rears, = ($ 600.00)
about $150.00 for a Sub, = ($ 150.00)
then another $150.00 - 175.00 for a decent center speaker, = ($ 175.00)
_________
$ 925.00 .....More than I want to spend!
It would be nice to get vertically oblong speakers on each side of the mounted TV,, instead of the small fat Satalite ones I was thinking about hanging in each corner, but.....I know, too many decisions, and so little time! makes me :crazy:

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
bozobytes said:
My budget is very low budget... Let's see...$600.00 speakers / 150.00 Sub / and 150.00 Center...$900.00!!!

I am also in the market for a new system. If that is your budget for speakers then you are going to have to find the system that is going to satisfy your personal taste in sound the most. It's hard for anyone to tell you what you are going to like. Like most things in life be it a house or a car or AV equipment you are going to fall in love with what you cannot afford. Either up your budget or do more research in your price range. From what I have read the SVS SBS-01 @ $999 may be something you might want to consider. Naturally its an on line product that you don't get to listen to before you buy. But it looks like more and more speaker systems are being sold that way.

Also unless you buy some rather large Front speakers I don't think you are going to be happy being without a Sub.

bozobytes

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
Hi and thanks!
I'm asking for ideas on speakers, trying to get away, and steppin' up from the basic Sony THiab sound. I have been looking at Polks (as you can read on prior posts) But a few of you have been recommending a company from Ohio named SVsound.
I went to their website and I was quite impressed with the way it's set up. They might be on the pricey side, but someone named Jack was very, very helpful in explaining their different products. Entry level SBS-01 mains, and improved crossover model SCS-01(m) for larger than my 12'x9' room, and the Subwoofer PB10 or the cylinder sub, the PC12-NSD.

For now, if I start out with a 3.1 channel system>

(2-SBS-01 /Mains) $ 225.00 Pair
(1 PC12-NSD /Sub) $ 549.00
(1 SCS-01 /Center) $ 185.00 plus shipping, will be about 1,080.

Other than the expensive entry level Subwoofer, does this sound like a good deal, and what I should expect to pay?

I know I sound like I work for this company, and it sounds like I have a lot of faith from these speakers I haven't heard yet, so I would like to know if anyone had dealt with this company and are you happy with their speakers.

if you have had them, and do not like them to get something else, please advise what they were. Thank you!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
I've got the SBS-01's for my front L/R and the SCS-01 for my center. I've been very pleased with them . . . no regrets at all.

Unfortunately, I do not have an SVS sub at this point. I know that the $549 for a sub is well above what you had planned to spend, but SVS subs are actually considered to be great value products amongst home theater enthusiasts. To get a sub of similar performance from a brick-and-mortar store would likely cost significantly more than $549.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

These are actually quite a bargain when compared to equivalent speakers from specialty shops. You would pay at least twice as much (prolly more).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If I were in the market for a new sub I would try out an SVS. I was going to get one a couple years ago but was offered a deal I couldn't pass up on a Paradigm Servo 15. (And yes, Paradigm makes incredible speakers and subs. :emoji_thumbsup: )

gallobravo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jorge R Rivera
Have You try looking at The Speaker Factory ST1`s and others they offer.I am going to purchase the TST3 with TC2 and let you guys Know how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks