What's new

Speaker Stand Suggestions (1 Viewer)

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all.

I am getting a pair of bookshelves for use as mains in a HT system. I'm either getting some Paradigm Minis or Dalquist QX5's or 6's. Can some one recommend some good stands for these? What height would be optimal?

Also has any one heard both the QX6's or 5's and compared them to Mini Monitors? I had my mind set on Paradigm, but some of the reviews for the QX series has led me to investigate those before deciding. Since I have no dealers near me it would be of huge help to me if some one can compare these 2 speakers.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I'll echo the Q for stands for bookshelf speakers. And, it'd be really cool if the height was adjustable.

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
I just got these in cherry finish from Crutchfield. VERY NICE! HEAVY wood, oval pillar w/ this plastic piece that hides the speaker wire. Also includes spikes for the stands and speakers. As far as height goes, under most circumstances your speaker's tweeters should be at your seated ear level.

David Lorenzo

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I saw those a while back on the website, but I never saw them in person until today at Ultimate Electronics. I didn't like the way they looked from the Crutchfield pictures, but they actually look a lot better in person. I am thinking about getting them, but I want to find something with edges as opposed to just a round pillar.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I want them to be adjustable, because for me, they are for surrounds, and I want the tweeters' sound line (?) to *easily* clear the back of my futon. 33" or so. So I'm looking for 35 - 40" or so.

Jim- Crutchfield also has adjustable stands. Cool. I wouldn't have even thought to look there except for your pointer. Cheap too at $80/pair.

Thanks!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Jim- Actually, the adjustable ones won't work. They are all limited in their load-bearing. But you are right, there are 36" fixed hts that will handle 25lbs each. (The speakers I'm looking at are ... 23 lbs each.)
And, I agree (even for surrounds/rears), tweeters should be at ear level. I figure that even if the stands are a little high, I do the "CD jewel case under the back of the speaker" trick to adjust the angle *down* to the listening area.
Cheers!
HTF is really cool for this stuff. I personally do *not* take that for granted. :D

Rory

Grip
Hi,

Check out asianesuperstore.com. They have a giant selection of speaker stands (fixed & adjustable). Great prices and don't ream you with shipping. You'll definately fine something there.

Cheers!

P.S. Dahlquist rocks!

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Rory- I'll have to look through there. I know that Crutchfield does have high prices in general... Excellent customer service, but high prices nonetheless...

Marc H

Second Unit
I usually match up the Dahlquist QX6 and QX5 to Atlantis SBF24 stands here in our shop. They are 24" tall, steel construction and sand or leadshot fillable and come with spikes for the bottom. Reasonably priced too.
Because the Dahlquists have such good stereo imaging, try and get as heavy and as rigid a stand as you can.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks