What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speaker Rot (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I wish I had read this thread 5 years ago. I threw out a pair of speakers I got in college and loved because I thought they were ruined. They were 'only' about $600; but I really liked the sound.

Ah well, I'll remember this the next time I have this problem - oh wait - I'll be dead!

728x90

MaxL

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Max Levine
yeah, pretty much you do just glue them on. the short version of the steps will be something like this:
1) remove/ clean off old surround
2) cut off/ remove dust cap
3) center cone and fix in place using provided spacers around voice coil
4) glue foam surround to cone and driver basket (maybe do one, let dry, do the other)
5) let dry
6) remove spacers from voice coil
7) glue on new dust cap

any decent kit will include everything you need, sandpaper, surrounds, spacers, glue, applicators, dust caps, etc. also more detailed step-by-step instructions.
not including an overnite drying (step 5), it took me about 45 minutes for the first speaker and 20 for the second. i did my AR speakers a couple years ago and they sound great.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ebay sellers bootapest2 & speakerworldonline-fla have some refoam kits at prices less than PE.

-Robert

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
OK, I'm back to focusing on my speakers again. . .

BTW, the video I linked to earlier doesn't even address removing the dustcap and inserting shims to center the voice coil part. I presume that's necessary for a well done foam replacement.

OK, while I was measuring everything today, I thought I'd unscrew the woofer unit and look at it. I can't even figure out how to detach the wiring. It doesn't seem to slide off at that metal clip. . .Any advice is appreciated.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The spades should pull straight off the tongues. It doesn't look like they're soldered.

A few years ago I had the woofers in an older pair of Boston Acoustics speakers repaired by Orange County Speaker Repair (http://www.speakerrepair.com). I shipped the woofers to them via UPS and had them back about 10 days later. I paid about $25 per woofer, plus shipping. They did a great job, so I can highly recommend them to anyone who doesn't want to try it themselves.

They also sell the kits for do-it-yourselfers. I don't know how the prices compare to Parts Express.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
OK, as a follow-up, I just finished refoaming my speakers. (2 towers and 2 rears -- the center was OK.) Took a while waiting for the foams through the mail.

Now, I'll upgrade my 11-year old Yamaha receiver. :) Thanks for everyone's help!

P.S. Although the foams were originally attached to the back of the cones, I had to go for front attachment -- way too difficult otherwise centering and with glue going all over. Hopefully, since many are front attached, it's OK.

DaveMcS

Second Unit
Years ago I had a pair of MTX woofers in the back of my Ramcharger. Nine years after purchase they surround crumbled to dust. I'm sure it was a combination of UV, heat, sulnlight that did them in. Long story short..MTX replaced the woofers under their (then) 10 year warranty for free!

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thanks, Michael! It's nice to have them up and running again! That strange vibrating noise from the rears was very annoying.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
Well it is good to know that a four year old thread is still of practical value. My 15+ year old Kappa 9s are still going strong since the refoaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks