What's new

Sound system setup (1 Viewer)

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I have the following set up: Bell fibe receiver and Samsung BD-H6500 Blu-ray player connected to Yamaha RX-V577 AVR which is connected to Samsung UN65F8000AFXZC smart TV all via HDMI cables. I have a 5 speaker set up with no subwoofer. I installed Prime Video app on TV but when I watch that app the sound has to come through the TV and not through the sound system. This is true for all apps on the TV. Do I have something not set up right or is it the nature of the beast? Thanks

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to send audio from the TV back to the receiver. To do that, you need an optical cable. The TV has an optical audio output, and the receiver has an optical input that's marked as the TV input. Once that's connected, when you select the TV input on the receiver, you should get audio.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
Thanks John! I am just wondering out loud (without research) while I have you here: we use the Logitech Harmony One to control everything. I have Watch Tv and Watch DVD as our main activities (we are simple folk!!). Would I have to set up a new activity because of the new optical cable and input change needed or can it be addressed within one of the two activities?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You just need to have the Watch TV activity select the TV input for audio on the receiver. You don’t need a new activity.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
I'll give that a go once I get an optical cable. Thank you!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For some reason I thought your receiver didn't have ARC, but yeah, you can do that too. You have to connect to the correct input on your TV, which appears to be hdmi 3. I've never used ARC, but you configure it in the receiver and then select the proper input, just like with an optical cable.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor
I have a somewhat similar setup (and question that I just posted), but I did have issues with my Harmony One (probably 6-7 years old). The Harmony One did not seem to have a concept of the TV being the "control box" of the activity, like a cable box would. So I could get the setup right (right devices on, right inputs), but the remote did not configure the D-pad and menu buttons to use the TV. It could very well be that I just don't know how to do this, or that it has to be done with a lot of manual configuration.

In the end, I ended up with a Harmony 950 which understood the concept of a Smart TV just fine.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
For some reason I thought your receiver didn't have ARC, but yeah, you can do that too. You have to connect to the correct input on your TV, which appears to be hdmi 3. I've never used ARC, but you configure it in the receiver and then select the proper input, just like with an optical cable.
If its like my RX-V383, ARC should be an option on the TV input. One problem with your reciever though is it's the last model Yamaha made that doesn't support HDCP 2.2 so you won't be able to get video out of 4k devices. Basically that ARC input is probably going to carry all the weight if you ever elect to upgrade your gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Justinjhonson
Recent bookmarks