What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sound proved walls for cheap (1 Viewer)

Stan K C

Auditioning
I've heard a saying that using empty egg carton in walls can ceiling is a great way to sound proof the room. Is it true?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Terry Montlick

Stunt Coordinator
Hello Stan,

Egg cartons will have some sound absorption effect in mid to high frequencies. However they will not soundproof a room. Absorption within a room and soundproofing to block sound aren't the same thing.

The folks at The Station nightclub in Rhode Island assumed this as well, and the terrible irony is that the cheap foam they used for "soundproofing" their stage from complaining neighbors was as acoustically ineffective as it was dangerous.

Which of course brings up the other obvious problem with egg cartons. They are flammable. Many states (including Rhode Island!) will not let you legally cover walls, commercial or residential, with materials which have anything less than a class "A" (also called class 1) flame-spread rating.

Please, please do not apply coverings to walls which have anything other than a class "A" rating! Many acoustical foams are legitimately sold which are not class "A" rated, because fire codes in various states do not require it. I think that this is a dangerous mistake.

End of pious lecture. :)

- Terry

David Preston

Supporting Actor
Terry good advise I would have never known that. This forum is so educating. It keeps people from making major mistakes.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
Using egg cartons is a big n-no for your health. They can harbour salmonella poison, especially in hot and humid rooms. Do not use!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks