What's new

"Sound of Music" a Limited Release? (1 Viewer)

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Was The Sound of Music a limited release when it came out last fall? I don't recall any marketing to this effect. The reason I ask is that Amazon (where I bought my copy last year) currently says that the title is available for pre-order and will be released on October 16th. Seems a little strange, since if it is an item that's out of stock, they usually say so.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Fox are most likely re-releasing the same DVD package at a slighly lower price, that's all. It wasn't a limited edition before. This is one way to catch people who missed a DVD the first time around, who only look at preorder lists.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Actually it's the same price. Since Amazon isn't being as generous with the pre-order price this time around, I'm glad I snapped mine up last year.
------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Gosh,
For a fleeting moment I dreamed what a wonderful world it would be if Fox actually decided to re-release this movie with a proper transfer.
It's really sad when almost EVERY DVD in my collection...except for Jean de Flourette...looks 10 times better than one the finest films ever made.
The edge-enhancement and print-wear on the current DVD is an absolute shame. I had a someone come over who is the antithesis of home theater (he had never even seen a dvd movie). When I popped in the opening "hills are alive" scene with Julie on the hill (on my 16x9 34" calibrated monitor with sharpness set to nill) the first words out of his mouth were "What's the halo around her head? Looks like some sort of weird ghosting."
When J6P says that, you know there's a problem with the disc.
Any chance, Fox, of a DTS Sound of Music with a proper transfer? Wow...just think about it!!!!
At least promise me that Hello Dolly won't suffer the same fate as our current S.O.M. DVD!!!
-dave
[Edited last by DaViD Boulet on August 21, 2001 at 09:41 AM]

Matt Perkins

Stunt Coordinator
Oh man, if this disc were re-issued with a beautiful transfer like Warner's NxNW, I would just cry. It hurt so much to wait for that DVD, and then see the end result ...

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This was the first disc that I popped into my then new 96" FPTV system last August.
I almost took the whole thing back to the dealer then and there.
Fortunately, I tried a few other discs first and quickly found that the extreme "ringing" that was so pronounced on SOM was unique to this one disc.
Gosh ... I'd be willing to pay double what I paid last year for a SOM sans edge enhancement.
Joseph

Heinz W

Second Unit
Amen to that Joseph! Maybe Fox will revisit SOM sometime in the not to distant future and give the film a proper UN-ENHANCED transfer it so desparately needs and deserves!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alianalbuck
Recent bookmarks