What's new

Sopranos: Season 4 on 10/28 (1 Viewer)

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Here is a similar photo that was on HBO's Web site in December.

It's a cool photo. But I must say it's a little off. I can't imagine any circumstance where Dr. Melfi would be present at this gathering. :)

Vijay P

Grip
Man this season sucked...no story (soup opera) except for maybe 1 or 2 episodes it was shit..

I have all the previous 3 but I am not wasting money on this shit season, skip it and then see if season 5 is good and then buy season 5 and if thats shit just call it quits at season 3...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
After thread-farting we now see a new phenomenon: thread-shitting.
Someone creates this thread to announce the release date of Sopranos-4. Fine.

Then several people especially come here to post that they give shit.
Fine too, of course. Extremely. Thanks. Interesting. It's noted.

Cees

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I believe Cees's comments are self explanatory and his opinion of Season four is irrelevant. There are plenty of Sopranos discussion threads in the TV area that are more suited to debate than this one.

If anyone wants to continue "shitting" on Season four, use one of the official threads. Debate there is welcome and I'm sure you "shitters" will find many members that agree with you...and many members that don't.;)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
This is starting to remind me of every Windtalkers thread!

Some people just got bored of the Sopranos. They are jumping ship because Chase didn't write what they wanted to see. You can't have people wacked every episode and maintain some form of plausibility but people want the "gangster stuff" 24/7.

I loved the last season. I also love the fact that there are open plot lines. Life's a lot like that.

Matt

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
Some people just got bored of the Sopranos. They are jumping ship because Chase didn't write what they wanted to see. You can't have people wacked every episode and maintain some form of plausibility but people want the "gangster stuff" 24/7.
I loved the first two seasons. Someone was not killed in every episode. So, that is a false issue. Chase did not write what viewers wanted to see. That resulted in lower ratings and fan disapproval. That is not a good thing. The "gangster stuff" to which you refer is the ONLY reason that anyone even watches this show. For Chase to ignore that is not smart. He has already taken the edge off the show and destroyed the once constant buzz. If he fails to recover in season five, they may as well not bother shooting season six. The Sopranos is a mob drama, not a soap opera.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Sopranos is a mob drama, not a soap opera.
It's both, in a unique blend. Always has been, and the season 1 episode "College" is a classic example. Season 4 was no exception. The rivalry with the NY mob was one of the running themes and a high point of the season.

Obviously you didn't like season 4, but just as obviously your opinion is not universally shared. I'm not sure why you feel the need to belabor the point.

M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Last season was the highest rated Sopranos season so far. You may watch it for the "gangster" stuff, but I and many others certainly don't. If that's all the show was about, it would have disappeared very quickly.

I guess some people must just have the "runs";)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
EdwardKarlinski, you're absolutely right! If I wanted a soap opera, I'd watch All My Children or As the World Turns. For about 80% of Season 4, you wouldn't have known The Sopranos was about a mob family if you'd never seen the show before. David Chase has gotten way off track in the show's focus and I just hope it's not too late for him to right the ship. The first 2 seasons were perfect and season 3 was very good, but season 4 just plain sucked! I'll still watch season 5 because I know the show has the potential to be great again, but I won't be looking forward to it the way I have in the past. The poor quality of season 4 coupled with the long delays in between seasons are making it very hard to stay interested. I'm much more amped about season 3 of "24" than I am about season 5 of The Sopranos and that's something I never thought I'd say as The Sopranos was my all-time favorite TV show up until last season. Oh well, that's just my opinion on the subject.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
I think what Ed and Brent are getting at, and its something I believe as well, is that the balance of Mob Drama and Soap Opera has shifted to the Soap side in season 4. My biggest complaint (among the others I've already mentioned in this thread) is that everyone seems to be in therapy in the show now. It was good when it was just Tony.... but now... well I don't want to say for those who haven't seen it. But those who did, you know what I'm taking about. Seems like Chase and Co are running out of ideas for the characters.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone else agree that this thread has pretty much run it's course?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
There may still be people who have questions or comments about the DVD release, so the thread still has a purpose. But let's try this -- and in case anyone has any doubt, this is an official moderator direction:

From this point forward, this thread is limited to discussion of the upcoming release on DVD of The Sopranos, Season 4. Anyone who wishes to continue discussing the merits of the show, the season or individual episodes should seek out the relevant threads in the TV forum, where the debate over the quality of season 4 has proceeded at length and in detail.

M.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Right on Michael!:emoji_thumbsup:

Looking forward to the Season 4 basher's comments in the official threads where there are plenty of Season 4 lovers.

See you guys there;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks