What's new

Sony top is too narrow... center channel support? (1 Viewer)

Scott Bourden

Second Unit
Think you have it bad? I have a CC-370 sitting on the top of a narrow 32" RCA television :D Took a combination of loads of sticky tack, two doorstops, and a strange balencing act to get it to stay on top, and at the angle I wanted toward the seating area.... Oh the shame :b

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Dave..

I have a Wega 36XBR with a CC350 center and it works fine. There is a bit of overhang, but there has never been a problem. It's balanced and well supported. I can even angle it when necessary and it's not going anywhere baring earthquake and the kid factor. Sounds like you solved your problem. The creativity of audioholics.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Now, I'm fairly certain that none of you guys would ever use something with the (ahem) "acoustical properties" of a big boxy television chassis as a stand for your main speakers. With that in mind, are you rigging up all these crazy apparatii to perch your center speaker up on topp because it's the only possible placement in your room, or because you haven't considered using a stand in front of your TV?

When I finally put my center speaker on a real speaker stand, it improved the sound quality more than any other "tweak" I've attempted. All the resonances from the TV box are gone, and though the speaker is only a few inches in front of my (relatively small) screen, it seems that moving it further away from the back wall has removed alot of "boominess" and mushy midbass I was getting when it was up on top of the TV (making dialog much clearer).

And if you've presently got your center channel speaker on top of your TV and inside a "home entertainment center" furniture box, then I bet moving it out in front on a stand will improve your sound quality exponentially!

BTW, I'm only using a relatively inexpensive Wood Technology stand (comes in 12, 16, and - I think - 22 inch heights) that I got for around $60. As with all speaker stands, I'm sure a heavier, sturdier one would improve the sound even more. But I was only experimenting with placement, and the sound improved so much that I'm not presently compelled to spend more for a better one!

At any rate, if this is an option for you, I definitely recommend that you consider it. You may be surprise at just how much better it sounds.

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
Not to get too far off topic, checked out that REGA website, and they boast an 8" sub that goes down to 17 hz... whoah!

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Moving a center in front of the set would be a good option but in my case my DVD player and LD player are underneath the TV in a stand so it would only get in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks