What's new

Sony top is too narrow... center channel support? (1 Viewer)

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Funny you mention this. I just picked up a cc370 center and now am wondering how I am going to balance this on a Wega that I think I will buy soon

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Other than the Hitachi's better picture this was one of the many reasons I chose a Hitachi over the Sony.

HarryR

Agent
Its very easy to build a nice little shelf for the top of the Sony (I have a 51W40). Go to hometheaterspot.com and do a search.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
Steve,

I've got a niftly little device made by Rega, it's nothing more than a metal T with a adjustable support in the back. The center sits on top of the T and you adjust the support (which has a rubber end) until the center is angled how you want it. I have a 27" Wega and it works great for my B&W LCR600.

I don't have a link handy, but perhaps inquire about it at your local dealer? They would be really easy to make however.

-Aaron

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The answer was styrofoam.
Cut it with a simple handsaw (after marking with a straight edge. It is narrow and almost as long as the speaker.
Totally invisible, friction fitting.
:D

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Eric, I don't know how deep your Wega top is, but I have a CC-370 mounted atop a 34XBR2 which has 6.5 inches depth. I also mounted angled bumpers underneath. Most of the speakers weight is in front so you can have considerable overhang in the rear.

IraSWeiss

Stunt Coordinator
It's too bad that TV designers don't realize or care to accommodate the fact that people actually put speakers on top of their sets.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I found that my center channel sounded much better on a stand in-front and beneath my screen (angled up to listening position). Maybe this could be an option for you?

Larry B

Screenwriter
I have a Toshiba RPTV with a tiny top, so I put my center speaker on a stand in front of the TV, and angled it up.

Larry

Bob Friend

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same problem. I wound up building a shelf out of crown moulding and solid pine, painted it the same color as my living room walls and screwed it to the wall above and behind my TV. It looks kind of like a fireplace mantle.

Eric_M

Stunt Coordinator
Garrett,

Thanks. I still don't have the Wega but I am going to pick it up in the next week or two. I am not sure of its measurements but I do know the 370 is much bigger than the top of that set. Then I have to consider that there is buttons along the top of the Wega which really makes things even more difficult. I was about to start a thread asking how do people get away with this with the Wega. In any case it is making me consider getting a diff set just to accomodate this center.

Still that advice you gave me may just work. I will take another look when I go to the store. As the one person said, it's a shame that they don't take into consideration that people want to put a center on top of the set.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
I placed the front of my center flush with the front of my wega. I then placed a pair of thick black wool socks underneath the back of the center to support it. It's stable and can't be seen unless your looking for it.

--Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks