What's new

Sony sa-wm40 vs Veladyne VX10 Opinons (1 Viewer)

Frederick Scott

Auditioning
I am in the market for a subwoofer in the $200 range. The Sony 12" sa-wm40 and velodyne vx10 are my 2 choices.
Can anyone tell me if one is that much better then the other.
I am leaning toward Sony because it is a 12" as opposed to the 10" veladyne.
Thanks,
Scott

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Velodyne makes a great subwoofer. I would go with them simply based on their name and rep. It also puts up respectable numbers. 36hz-120hz +/- 3db. Proably similar to the sony even though they quote a 20hz rating (which is at a ludicrous -10db)

I have heard the sony, and while not bad, it leaves a lot to be desired. I have not heard the velodyne.

Regardless, woofer size should not play a role in your decision.

-rob

Frederick Scott

Auditioning
Thanks Rob,
The reason I was concerned about size is that I have a very open split level house. The living room is sunk-in and open to the kitchen area and there are not a lot of sound absorbing materials in that area. The problem is listening later at night. Anything but very moterate levels disturb sleeping kids. I figured that a 12 would move more air for the same volume level. But again speaker quality and design probably have a lot more to say about tha than jusr woofer size.
Scott

James Grasso

Agent
I currently have the sa-wm40 and just ordered a vx-10, so I'll put up a small review or something for everyone asking about this sub vs. the wm40 when I get it. Someone spilled a drink into my sony sub, but it looks like I'll be able to "fix" it after all, so I'm going to try both of them together and separate and see what the results are. I don't know too much about HT though, so anything I post is from a newbie opinion, FYI.

Kevinkall

Second Unit
You should be able to find the Sony for well under $200 and don't forget the poly-fill mod...the difference is night and day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks