What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony problems (1 Viewer)

bmeyer6472

Grip
Real Name
Bob
I'm wondering if anyone else has had problems with their Sony products besides me. I've finally given up on Sony after problems going back 10 years. It started with my E9000ES pre/pro, which spent a couple of months in the shop for warranty repairs before it finally worked correctly; continued with my XBR1 HDTV, which required a new color block and also needed a new audio module - I think I had about 5 service calls on it, and it also spent a couple of weeks in the shop; and now my brand new 550 blu ray player has audio problems, dropping the center channel at random times. I'm not going to bother trying to fix the player - it's going back and it will be my last Sony product.
Anyone else with similar problems, or am I just the bad luck kid?

Bob

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
I dropped Sony as a product 3-4 years ago. It all revolved around a digital camera. The warranty repair people Sony contracted with were the worst people you could imagine working with.
They sent it back to me several times saying there was nothing wrong with it. This almost drove me crazy. I couldn't get the camera to turn on and then take a picture. It would just shut itself off right after I turned it on. It only worked for the first couple of weeks I owned it.
After seven months of shipping it back and forth, no progress was made. I felt the only way towards justice was for me and anyone else being jerked around to boycott sony products.
I must say I have done well. I do have a PS3, but that is the only thing Sony I have purchased. I have passed up on buying a couple of Sony Bravia LCDs for other brands. I am not sure what else I may have bought from them over the years. They probably have not changed, so I will stay clear.
Should my PS3 ever quit working while it is still young, I don't think I will even send it in and risk the headache of some subcontracted service department somewhere.
BTW, I don't typically ban products from my life. Sony just put me through the ringer so bad I wished I would have just burned the money instead of buying the camera in the first place.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I bought a couple of SONY car decks years ago and had nothing but problems with them. The warranty repair service was crap. I sent my deck in twice for repairs and both times it came back in a non-operable condition. I opened it up and the soldering job that was done on the Power transistors was absolute shite. I finally threw it in a box and forgot about it. I told the story to a friend of mine and he asked if he could take a look at the deck. I gave it to him and he managed to fix it. There was a cold solder joint on one of the boards.

After that experience I never bought another SONY product for years because I felt I couldn't trust their build quality. I steered clear of SONY until I bought a PS3. So far, I have been satisfied with it. It has worked flawlessly. The only thing I don't like is the slot load. I always think that slot loaders are more liable to fail earlier than tray loaders.

I still will not buy any SONY audio products.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
First of all...knock on wood.

No problems with my Sony LCD

No problems with my 10 YEAR old Sony 7700, DVD player

No problems with my Sony BDP300 Blu-ray

No problems with my Sony BDP350 Blu-ray player

And i never had any problem with my old Sony XBR 36 inch tube TV.

[knocks on wood, again]

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
I have an 8" B&W Sony TV that was made in 1975- still works!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I also have a 20" Sony Wega bought in 2005 that works perfectly, and the Sony RDR-GX7 DVD recorder that I bought in 2004 which still gets heavy-duty use as my sole DVD player, works fine. (oh yeah.....KNOCK WOOD! LOL!)

My Sony Discman that I got in 1987 worked fine as my sole CD player for about 8 years before it started to malfunction.

My only major problem with a Sony product was a dual-deck Dolby-S cassette recorder that must have been flimsily built because after only a few years one of the compartment doors jammed and I had to force it open and break it to get the tape out.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have several Sony products that have no issues, including an 11 year old DVD player (the first I bought), a BDP-S350 BluRay player, 5-disc SACD/CD carousel player, a 12-year old 32-inch TV, a Hi8mm camcorder and a MiniDV camcorder.

To be fair, I did have an old, low-end Sony ProLogic A/V receiver that died many years ago after about 5 years of use.

bmeyer6472

Grip
Real Name
Bob
My original conjecture that maybe I was just the bad luck kid seems to be true. It looks like there are plenty of you out there who have had many trouble free Sony products. I did not mean to slam Sony in the first place; I just wondered what others had experienced.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bob

mylan

Screenwriter
I have a Sony 60" rear projection LCD that has been going for over four years with no problems and a BD-350 blu ray that has so far been great.
I did have a problem with an 8mm. camcorder that never did work properly and was in the shop three times for the same defect before it was exchanged for a newer version, which so far, has been problem free.
I think it is a luck (or lack thereof) of the draw if one has problems with a particular brand and, to a lesser extent, how that product is used or abused. I'm not saying the OP abused anything but I have been amazed at how some of my friends treat their equipment and then gripe when they fail.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My only problems with Sony products so far have been:
An annoying hum on my old Sony STR-AV210 receiver, which I sold about 9 years ago;
My auto-reverse Walkman from the 80s, which started crapping out about 2 years after I bought it; and
My first CD player, which started skipping at the 5 year mark.

So far, my 32" 720p LCD has been fine (knock on wood). I've been debating between the BDP-S350 and the Panny BD35 for my Blu-Ray player, but the Costco version of the 350 comes with a free HDMI cable. dilemmas, dilemmas.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When I was researching MP3 players, I came across a review that said (and I kid you not):

"...this product is awful. I threw it at my friend and now it doesn't work."

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
This might interest you...

Sony Class Action | Home

The suit on first generation SXRD has been settled. For those who have an XBR1 or same generation SXRD, you might be able to get a new TV. It has been done apparently.

Second generation SXRD (XBR2 or same generation) suit is still pending. Meanwhile, if you have a problem with the optical block, they will replace free of charge. Next week they are coming to do this for my TV. I will not sign any waiver if offered because if this suit is settled in the customer's favor, I might be able to get a new TV out of it (for a minor additonal charge). If you have a second generation SXRD TV and are having these discoloration problems, I suggest you contact the lawyer to lend yourself as a witness to strengthen the case. And contact Sony for a repair.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter

:D :D :D

As of yet, I don't have any problems with the Sony products I have at home. My second dvd player was a Sony DVP-NS360, and even after three years (and a lot of films later) it still works perfectly. It's now being used by my brother. My first Blu-Ray player is the BDP-S350, and I don't have any problems at all with it. Works like a charm. Sure, the loading time could be improved, but that's a problem all BD-players suffer from. Except the Playstation 3 perhaps.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yes, 80% of my equipment purchases over the past 20 years have been SONY and I can't think of one issue I've ever had.

But I've had bad problems with my Toshiba DVD player (the cost to fix the issue was more than the player was worth) and I had a major problem with a Panasonic DVD burner that had to go in for repairs (which were under warranty, thank goodness).

I think one of the reasons why people get more upset about SONY issues is because of the cost. When my cheap stuff craps out, I don't care, but if an expensive thing craps out, then I guess I'd be more vocal about it.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
My main receiver is a Sony STR DE 425 that is over 10 years old and still getting it done. I had a Sony 27" CRT that was working fine but got messed up with what I believe was a power surge when the power went off and came back on a few times in a minute. It still works but had problems in the strength of the red colors (sometimes too high and sometimes too low).

That's when I got an LCD for Christmas (not Sony, my family sprung for the off brand Sceptre which coincidentally uses a lot of the Sony TV remote codes). The 27" is kept to be a back up should the Sceptre ever need servicing.

The Kitchen though, had a LCD Sony MFMHT75W that conked out on Super Bowl Sunday, just before the warranty expired. It got sent back to Sony, who said it couldn't be repaired and sent a similar model MFM-HT95. The difference was that the 75 was a 17" 16:9, the 95 a 19" 4:3.

Overall I am satisfied with the response to the problem with the TV

bmeyer6472

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Well, it sure seems like most of you have had very good luck with Sony. For me, I'm happy to report that the exact same movie that caused my Sony blu-ray player to have fits plays perfectly on my new Panasonic.

Bottom line, if you like Sony products and have had good luck with them, that's good. I've just had too many bad experiences with them, and I'm done.

The point is well taken however, that any hi tech product can have problems; it's not exclusive to Sony.

Bob

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I've had good experiences:

- DVP-S725 DVD player: worked flawlessly for four years.
- DVP-NS900V DVD player: 4000 hours of use and still working when sold.
- WM-FX77 Walkman: still works after 17 years (and so it should: cost me $360).
- Sony 29" CRT TV: worked great until I sold it.

and bad:

- Sony Walkman ($120) died after three unsuccessful repairs. Put me off Sony for over five years. Stuck with Aiwa decks through the '90s.
- Sony MDP-533 LaserDisc player. Drawer jammed, and was just poorly designed.
- Sony 32" CRT widescreen. Clipped on component inputs and couldn't be fixed. Returned for refund.

I don't have any Sony equipment at the moment, but wouldn't rule them out. Like every brand, they will have problems every now and then with particular models.

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xcvbszdfzsfsa
Recent bookmarks