What's new

Sony problems (1 Viewer)

Ensign Eddie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I've had good luck and bad luck with Sony. Not enough to ban them from my life, but enough to regret some of the purchases.

My biggest regret right now is getting the BDP-350 instead of the Panasonic 35. My 350 has a a problem with anything orangy-yellow (like a lot of skin tones) looking blown out. Unfortunately I spent so much time trying to calibrate my TV (to try to decide whether it was the player or the TV) that I missed my opportunity to return it. I just haven't worked up the courage to try to get Sony to fix it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My problem is whether to go with the Sony 550 or the Panny BD35. Since both are being replaced in the near future, the prices have been dropping, but on the Sony stuff faster than Panny, to the point that you can actually get both players for the same price @ some stores.

brandonchenry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandon Henry
I may still be miffed at Sony, but what I am mad about the most is the sub-contracted warranty repair place I had to deal with. It seemed pretty obviouse that the camera was a lemon, but they stuck to their guns that they fixed it. If they had good customer service (which you think you would get on a brand new item less than a month old!) by the time seven months had passed, maybe they would have offeren me a new camera or a refund.

Most people I know have a Sony something-or-other, and are happy with it.

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
Sony products can be like Russian roulette. I've had mixed experiences wih their products. Another thing I noticed is that the most reliable products of theirs aren't necessarily most epensive ones.

$400 Sony cd player 1985 doesn't sound that great but will play anything including cd-r's.

$ 800 DAT recorder purchased in 12/1996. Although I don't use it much tapes played back on it that I recorded in '96 play back with no diginoise and that's with 90 meter tapes.

$ 1000 Sony digital 8 camcorder. I bought it back in 1999 and I usually used standard 8mm tapes with it and those tapes playback with zero trouble even on other digital 8 camcorders. I'd buy it again.

$300 in 2006 Sony dvd recorder (315 model) that is total junk. I had to exchange it 2 times. I really didn't really want it but it was all Sears had that night and I really didn't want to look elsewhere. It not only trashes discs by refusing to close the disc (regardless of media brand) it also put an annoying hi frequency whine that runs the entire length of the recording.

dvd player $50 at walmart. It is okay but not great. But hey; for $50???

dvd camcorder loves to trash the TOC. Lost some great night time flight footage over Detroit. If we'd been on the ground that camcorder would have met concrete.

model 550 bluray player. So far so good but my wife uses it more than I do. It appears to be solid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks