What's new

Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD Problems (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
How many people here have had a Sony DVP-S9000 ES DVD/SACD player? Or known someone who has owned one? Is this player a under rated work horse or a over rated lemon?

I have owned my Sony DVP-S9000 ES for a little over 2 years now. I got a deal on it from Goodguys for $700. And a extended warrenty for about $130 for 10 years of protection. After 1 year the layer changes where getting lagging from 3-5 seconds. So I took it in for service and it ended up having the laser assembly replaced. Now a little over 1 year later it was in again for layer changes starting to lag and the draw stoped ejecting. Well the service was nice and promt as usuall and the got the player back to me in a week. I have never had problems with there service, just this frakin Sony, rofl. Has anyone had any exsperience with this model of Sony ES dvd player? Am wondering if it is a total peice of junk or if I am just having a run of bad luck with it. I am considering dumping this ES player in exchange for a Denon dvd/dvd-a/sacd player with a dvi out. Am not sure if the Sony can cut it as my primary dvd player. It has a nice cd section and the sacd section is solid. How ever the Denon uses the Sony chip in its SACD section so there is no difference in that department. The Sony has the Genisis chip and the Denon has the Faroudja chip if I am not mistaken. So I would think the Denon should be the supperior player. Would love to here from anyone here that has had exsperience with this model player.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mine is about 5 years old and never had a problem. I would suggest from my experience getting other Sony products repaired that Sony service is patentedly inferior here in the east. That's been my experience sending stuff to their Pennslyvannia butcher shop.

I like my 9000 better than all my other dvd players. I think you have a run of bad luck or a lemon-y sample. Good luck with it!:)

I've had this player, too. Mine needed a new laser assembly after about two years. It was covered under the Sony ES 5 year standard warranty. I since sold it and now have an el cheapo Pioneer dv-563a for DVD/SACD playback and a Sony cdp-x707es for CDs.

I sometimes miss the cool blue light on the 9000es.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you are looking for similar problems, you might check www.agoraquest.com

I have a 222ES that has problems bringing the tray back in, but only randomly and a little nudge gets it going again.

One of my previous Sony players had the flex circuit break completely for the tray - that was after about 6 years though, and it cost $80 to repair a $120 player that subsequently lasted another 4 years before I sold it in working condition. Though the repair cost was high, I think I got more than my money's worth out of it.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have this player. Occassionally (once every couple months or so), the players will freeze and/or skip a few seconds of play. When I reverse it back to that spot and play it, it plays fine. May be some dust or something got in the way of the laser or it just glitches out sometimes but I haven't taken it in. All in all I'm pleased with this player though I could probably get a better one for the same money now.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Luckly I have not had problems with service on the Sony ES. Goodguys gets it out and back quickly and they do a good job. I have not had problems with it skiping a few seconds of play or any problems with the audio. I have a secondary dvd player that is a Pioneer DV525. I was using it as a secondary player that was hooked up with the Sony ES. But now I just keep it in case the Sony goes in for service and I need a back up dvd player. The Pioneer has what seems to be a brighter picture than the Sony. The Sony looks more cinematic with smoother color and cleaner edges. It is a very clean looking model and the SACD section sound really good. And heck the thing weights enough, around 25 - 27 lbs, lol. The Pioneer I have will drop the digital audio once in a while and I have to stop the dvd and hit play again and the sound comes back. If I had the money I would get a Meridian or McItosh in a heart beat and replace the Sony ES. But I think what will happen is that the 9000 ES will be upgrade to a Denon with a dvi out that does DVD-A as well. Then the 9000 ES will end up as a back up dvd player and the SACD player.

I apreciate everyones input on this subject :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks