What's new

Sony color temp settings ?? (1 Viewer)

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
Hello,
Does anyone know what the color temperature settings on a Sony Wega ("warm", "neutral", and "cool") correspond to in terms of actual numerical temperature?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
There is what it is "supposed" to correspond to and what it "actually" is.
Warm is 6500, neutral is 7500-8000, cool is 9000-10000.
You will never know for sure until you put proper testing equipment up to it to actually measure it.
The warm could actually be 4000 or 9000 or what ever ... who knows.
Same for the other two settings..
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Ken Stuart

Second Unit
That is interesting... on my Wega, the "warm" setting seems just not right, with everything else carefully adjusted with Video Essentials.
This is from looking at very well crafted DVD movies, and using natural objects that have "set" appearances, such as trees and sky, and using multiple scenes.
Using that, "Warm" looks too warm, and "Neutral" is closer, but slightly too cool, but nevertheless definitely closer.
Using the assumption that 6500 would give the best results, I would say that my "Warm" setting is actually something like 5000-5500, while my "Neutral" setting is actually 7000-7500.
Can this be adjusted in Service Mode for all Wegas?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Yes it can be done in the service mode, but you need proper instrumentation. Unless you know what D6500 is supposed to look like, eyeballing is often futile.
I have seen people who think they have a great eye for colour end up well over 16,000K when they were shooting for 6500 ...
Shoot for what is pleasing to your eyes ... knowing that it may still be well off the mark. For get about numeric values.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
And as someone who has been messing about in their Toshiba service menu (not the Panasonic I posted earlier, not yet at least - an old tv that I took from my mom - she always complained about it being too red and indeed the 20-30 IRE grayscale is really red tinted) tweaking grayscale, I can say what you really need is a great eye for lack of color :) There are what seem to be many variants of neutral gray depending on your lighting, your eyes, etc etc. I would say that if the Neutral color temperature is pleasing to you and you don't perceive any problems (too much red, too much green, too much blue in darkish gray areas, etc.) then stick with that. If you really want to get D6500 gray linearly across the entire IRE spectrum then as Michael says you'll need color analyzing equipment and someone who knows how to use it.
cheers,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks