What's new

So what is missing from the HTF FAQ and PRIMER?? (1 Viewer)

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
As many of you know, a few months ago some of the members of this forum pieced together some basic articles of information and advice for HT newbies. As part of the basics area, we often recommend this document to newcomers as a "first step" to get them up to speed on some of the basic concepts, terminology and technology.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=55635
Today marks the 6th month anniversary of the creation of this document. On such an occasion, some of the staff have been re-examining the PRIMER AND FAQ document to see how well it presented the basic FAQs of this forum. As of today- this document has been viewed more than 74,000 times- making it one of the more popular posts in the history of the HTF!
So, I wanted to ask you guys- the 74,000 viewers of this document for your feedback. I'm considering pulling this document back into circulation to allow members to post additional info- but thought it might be useful to find out from you if you feel anything is missing.
So, I turn the question over to you. Was this document helpful to you in your search for home theater information? Did you find something specific that you wanted info about but could not find in the FAQ? Did you see any holes in between topics that you had hoped to find more extensive explanations? Do any of the existing posts lack information that should be covered in their topic?
Let me know what you guys think- I had hoped to keep this document dynamic and evolving- so your feedback is critical!
-V

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
More indepth discussion of the HDTV and regular TV formats from 480i to 720p and 1080i etc.

A topic that deals with HTPC and how to hookup a PC to a projector, including discusison on using the computer to scale rather than the projector.

A topic on "How do I select the best projector for my room on a certain budget?" although I was planning on doing that one.

TyC

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to see an article on burn-in: what causes it, what displays it affects, what can be done, etc.
(Unless this has already been discussed.)

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a few:
  • Information on progessive scan
  • related to the above suggestion. TV's have 480p/480i and 1080i component connectors. People may wonder which one they should use for their DVD/LD or other kind of player.
  • a clear list of encoded audio formats and a list of playback features used to play them back.
  • How DVD, LD, VHS, etc. movie inforamtion is encoded. Don't need to get too detailed. Might talk about how the audio is synced with the video.
- bones

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
A clear explanation of the chroma bug dvd players including how to spot it.

Maybe a combined article comparing and contrasting all the various surround modes that are available at this time, instead of separate DD and DTS articles.

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
How about information on aspect ratios on Disney titles. I don't mean the live action one that get pan and scam. I mean the animated ones that people confuse at times for being pan and scam. Like for example, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, as this one is thought of being in the wrong aspect ratio for a title that came out in the sixties (not sure if the date is right, as I don't own the title), but after reading the great FAQ at Luke B's site, it explains thing that people were worry about. If we to add it, ask Luke if we put his own FAQ in there.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
A clear explanation of the chroma bug dvd players including how to spot it.
Hey. Can we list here somewhere DVD players that have the chroma bug and those that don't? Perhaps members of the forum can help in putting together the list. Of course, we would likely not have an exhaustive list. But hopefully it would still be pretty darn good.

I'm pretty sure mine has it, so we could add it to the "has chroma bug" list ;-).

- bones

Steve Cross

Agent
I'd like to see some info on SACD/DVD-A in the primer.

Also, a few sticky's for "best HTiB" and "best receivers under $500"

I see these posted every day.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
1. Another request for info that explains the 480i, 720p and 1080i formats.

2. An explanation of dvi.

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
I see people talking about super bit DVDs, but I don't see anything on it in the Primer.

What about a little more info on HD-DVD?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Let me say there are several excellent suggestions here. I will personally be adding a basic introduction to HTPC, a post on the concept of Burn-In, and a quick bit of info on Superbits in the next few days.

Also, don't be afraid to point out elements that might be better explained or more fully explained in existing posts. I'm really hoping to continue to refine this thing to make it as clear as possible.

John- good idea, although likely a bit beyond the goals of this document (an introduction to basic info for newbies). I think you might even consider doing the research and putting together a webpage of your own. I'm sure it would be very popular. I think several of the major technical player comparisons over the past few years have included extensive info on chroma bug issues.

-Vince

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
I'd like to see advice or listings of sample setups for certain budgets. A newbie may have $1000 to spend, but say he blows that all on a TV, receiver etc. The true experts here would know best, on how to get the most HT out of $1000, $2000, $5000 and so on.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
I'll second the projector basics section, as well as the HTPC (coincidence that I'm currently thinking about those? Nah ;) )

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Since there's nothing to post about it, and probably won't be for 5-6 years....
Isn't there information about what is going on for standardizing HD DVD? Are there competing standards? Have test units been created? Are there still technical challenges to overcome?

I would have thought there'd be something more than just "this is a long ways off".

- bones

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
Another topic that should be added is a list of acronyms used on this board. e.g.

YGM, OAR, etc.

- bones

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
A few potential articles:

- Various time-shifting methods for TV (What is a Tivo, ReplayTV, etc. & why would I want one vs. a VCR). Maybe a "How can I record HD material" post as well?
- What is Front Projection, how is it different from RPTV, what is LCD, DILA, DLP, CRT (pros and cons of each format). What do I need for a FP system (projector, scaler, screen). Why do I want a scaler, etc.
- What is a HTPC, why would I want one? What can it do & can it outperform other stand alone products? (Most HTPC q's are answered in AVS forum's HTPC FAQ)
- A "Help, my subwoofer is humming" post (ground loop).
- Perhaps a link in the shopping category to the speaker wire article (and maybe an article about interconnect for video and audio).

Let me know if you want me to submit any of these articles...

JohnVB

Stunt Coordinator
John G,

We're not here to answer the questions now. We're just listing what we think should go on the Primer.

I think the acronym finder would not be that helpful to people who are new to HT. They'll see CE, and wonder is that 'Canadian English', 'Classic Edition', 'Custom Edition'?

So I still vote for a list of acronyms and meanings on the Primer.

The Primer is supposed to have things in one place making things easy for people to find. If we were going to expect people to find all the information by searching the internet, we'd just do away with the primer.

- bones

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks