So, I finally started watching Battlestar Galactica

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, May 31, 2010.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    FINAL WARNING

Did I not ask that we stop this debate between

the two series?

Did all of you not read that request?

Nobody is going to get creamed here because

the next person that is looking to threadcrap here

is going to get their account suspended.

Thank You.

2. kowalski65

kowalski65 Agent

I'd like to apologize for pulling the conversation into directions the site owner and most of those commenting didn't want it to go.

I thought comparing the original series to the recent one was relevant to the discussion, but I (and Jack) seem to be in the minority. So I'm done here now, I won't jump back in even if somebody torpedoes me, promise. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .(I do wish someone would start a thread about "re-imagined" movies, series, etc., though. A new "Hawaii Five-O" series is about to come out of the chute. My fingers are crossed.)

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

I thought this series was extremely disappointing. I started out loving it, but by the third season I just lost interest. I think BSG is much like Firefly in tone, and the style of filming. Firefly would have been perfect....if it hadn't gotten canceled.

I can't wait for Ronald Moore's "The Thing" remake though. He is a very talented writer.

4. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

What? Maybe I don't remember Firefly that well but I think the tones of both series are very, very different. BSG was a grim and serious series while Firefly was a fun western in outer space.

5. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

Firefly was very dark, and seriously dramatic. It was funny in spots, but humor is a part of life. For every 'fun' moment in Firefly there are 20 more 'sad' moments. Great show.

In the BSG pilot look for the Firefly ship.

6. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

[​IMG]

Here is the Firefly ship in the BSG pilot. The creators of BSG were huge fans.

7. Will_B

Will_B Producer

When that scene was revisited in one of the final episodes, the Firefly was gone. But I'm glad it is there in the pilot.

The same effects house did Firefly and BSG. They'd become really good at the "hand held camera...in space!" style with Firefly, and it seems that the effects people sold the concept to the bearded producer of Galactica because they felt it was a really good style for making things seem real. (I'm forgetting his name at the moment.) In his commentaries he doesn't credit Firefly for the style, but he's likely not being rude, rather he was probably sold on the concept by the effects people and hadn't ever seen Firefly himself. No one saw Firefly when it was on!

P.S. Curses HTF for putting that "CLEAR" button right where one expects a "SUBMIT" button to be! And no "undo"!

8. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Hey, notice how those buildings outside the windows are also the apartment complex where Boomer ended up as she was adjusting to her new life.

I think it is also the apartment complex where Starbuck was held prisoner.

The room itself (with the slanted wall windows) is also the "V" visitors' embassy on "V".

It gets used far too much.

9. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

10. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
  11. hampsteadbandit

hampsteadbandit Stunt Coordinator

I watched BSG "Mini Series" for the 6th time last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it again!

and of course I made sure to watch out for "Serenity" flying in the windows above the Doctor's surgery when the future Madam President is receiving news about her cancer

loved Firefly / Serenity motion picture and totally loved BSG mini series and the first couple seasons...