What's new

Small room set up advice (1 Viewer)

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
I'm looking for some audio advice for my "mini" home theater. I have a home office/viewing room that I would like to upgrade to enhance the "theater" part. I recently purchased a Panasonic TC-P55GT50 that I love, but now it's time to focus on audio. I currently have a Vizio VSB210WS-B soundbar/subwoofer, but I am thinking of upgrading to a 5.1 surround sound. My room is approximately 11 x 13.5' but half of it is taken up with my desk, computer, etc. I have a loveseat in the middle of the room facing the back wall, approximately 60inches away from my tv, which is the optimal viewing distance given THX measurements (based on my 55" screen). Windows make up one side of the room, and the door is in back. I have bookcases on either side of my tv, but there is room to slide smaller monitors on each side of the tv (if I put them on a tabletop stand that will sit on my entertainment center. I've also got room to put speakers on either side of the couch (on stands). You can see a diagram attached of the basic layout of the room (speaker placement is in red). Anyway, like I said it's a small room and I just want to upgrade the audio for a more theatrical-like experience. Budget isn't as much of a concern as usage is. I only watch movies on this tv, and typically not at booming volume since I usually watch them later at night when my wife and children are asleep upstairs. So, I'm not looking to shake the house, but rather have decent range and clear dialogue at low-mid volume levels. Sure, when no one is in the house, I'd like to crank it a bit - but typical usage will be at normal levels. That said, I am currently torn between the Energy Take Classic 5.1 and Definitive Technology Procinema 800 speakers. The Procinema 800s get better reviews, but since I won't be listening at louder volumes, will the extra cost over the Energy's be worth it? Or should I piecemeal different speakers (Procinema center, Energy sats?). As for sub, I was wondering if the Energy would be decent enough for my set up. For receivers, I was thinking the Sony STRDN1030 for its value and AirPlay option as I may use this for about 20% music (at most). I am, however, up for opinions on that as well. Again, I'm looking for something that will be appropriate for my current set up. I know I could go crazy on components, but I also don't want to buy a Ferrari to go pick up a few groceries, you know? Thanks in advance!
2b0ef868_office-layout-copy.jpeg

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I have a 13x13 computer room and I enjoy my 5.1 system (although I use it mostly for music). I think the Take 5 would be fine for the theater use; even satellites would do you well with a decent sub in that size room. However, once you bring music into the equation the driver size improves the sound a lot (assuming everything else is equal). So if the 20% music is important to you, then yes, I'd go with the Definitives. On the flip side, if the music you'll be playing is from mp3s, then don't bother, just go with the Take 5s. Bottom line: the Definitives are definitely worth the money, but not for your stated needs. A decent sub is always worth it. You don't have to crank it (they have separate volume controls). Their job is to reproduce the low end, which is even more important with smaller speakers. That said, again I think the 8" subs on both of those system will be fine for you based on your goals.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you hanging the rears from the ceiling, or stands??? (I know you said stands) I would almost(if sitting on the floor) buy 4 thin tower speakers. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-NS-F210BL-Bass-Reflex-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B002JCSG12/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1358110153&sr=1-5&keywords=tower+speaker

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
I'll probably have the left rear speaker on a stand, and the right rear sitting on top of the bookshelf. They should be equal height (about 31-35" off the ground). The two front speakers will most likely sit on the entertainment center on either side of the tv. They will be slightly lower than ear level, so i may try to rig up some small 12" stands to bring them up higher. I'm also thinking of upgrading to the Polk Audio Blackstone TL350s. I would still need to buy a subwoofer (DSWPRO550wi), but it seems like these speakers might be better overall. That said, I am a little torn between subwoofers (DSWPRO550wi or DSWPRO550wi). With such a small room, do I need a 10", especially when I won't be listening at loud volume? Or will the larger woofer help reproduce the tones better, even at lower volume (without shaking the room and thus waking the wife and kids up)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
This is what I do at night... 1. Enable "night mode" (most AVR you pick will have some form of DRC. Most cable/sat STB also have DRC, so do BD/DVD players) 2. Go into set-up and "remove" the subwoofer...making the fronts "full range". Then when you want the sub, go back into set-up, add the subwoofer...re-set the front crossover. I have Onkyo AVR and that is about a 15 second process each way.

bscriv77

Auditioning
Real Name
Ben Scrivens
Jim Mcc said:
Better yet, when everyone else is asleep, put on the headphones.
True, but I'd rather not resort to headphones if I can help it. Besides, they wouldn't replicate the experience as well as speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks