What's new

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
There seems to be a consensus that physical media is still more qualified to deliver the audio and video goods in a home theater than streamed content. Even with a super-bandwidth internet connection, whether you’re playing a Netflix blockbuster or a YouTube 4K demo, you will always wonder if that random motion artefact or over-bleeding color is embedded in the source or the result of densely-packed data struggling to find their way to your state-of-the-art display.
But with that said, most consumers are content to opt for the convenience of streamed media, its instant access and highly watchable pictures. Just as the majority used to pick up VHS tapes from Blockbuster stores while a small band of enthusiasts were poring over their laser disc collections, the separation between casual viewer and movie fan has always been marked. For these reasons we have selected our six best 4K UHD players for those still considering making the leap from their previous world of streaming, or...

Continue reading...

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
@Martin Dew I disagree with your inclusion of Sony's overpriced UBP-X1100ES, which with a few minor differences, is essentially the same as the more modestly priced UBP-X800M2 ($299.99 USD MSRP). Format specs are identical.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Sony's UDP-X1000ES has a high-end premium build quality and has an excellent upgraded optical drive. So for those who enjoy premium design and build quality Sony's UDP-X1000ES is a very good choice. I agree that Sony's UBP-X800M2 is the price/performance buy.

Very respectfully I would like to add that Panasonic's DP-UB9000 is $997.00 at our company and $999.99 at other authorized dealers. Also the UB9000 does not support SACD so it's not a universal disc player.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought the Sony 700 could handle SADC but not DVD-A. I don't have discs of either type to test, but I could have sworn it could do one but not the other whereas the 800MS could do both.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Sony's UDP-X1000ES has a high-end premium build quality and has an excellent upgraded optical drive. So for those who enjoy premium design and build quality Sony's UDP-X1000ES is a very good choice. I agree that Sony's UBP-X800M2 is the price/performance buy.

Very respectfully I would like to add that Panasonic's DP-UB9000 is $997.00 at our company and $999.99 at other authorized dealers. Also the UB9000 does not support SACD so it's not a universal disc player.
Robert,

I edited the post to reference the lower price at your store. Thanks for that!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don’t know what’s going on, but the article won’t load for me.

It loads on my computer, but on my iPad it just hangs up.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I love my Panasonic's DP-UB9000 as the player performs great and is worth every penny! Thank you Robert for answering all my questions and getting my player to me quickly. If your looking for the Panasonic player Robert will take good care of you.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
I thought the Sony 700 could handle SADC but not DVD-A. I don't have discs of either type to test, but I could have sworn it could do one but not the other whereas the 800MS could do both.
Yes, you are correct Matt. Thanks for pointing this out. I will change the text in the X700 paragraph.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Are you sure the Sony X800 M2 supports DVD-A? I own the original X800, and it only supports SACD. I didn't think that Sony ever supported the rival DVD-A format.

Martin Dew

HTF News Editor
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Martin Dew
@Martin Dew I disagree with your inclusion of Sony's overpriced UBP-X1100ES, which with a few minor differences, is essentially the same as the more modestly priced UBP-X800M2 ($299.99 USD MSRP). Format specs are identical.
Fair point, thanks. I wanted to include the UPB-X1000ES in the mid-range, but it appears to be out of production now. The X1100ES does have some connectivity and CI advantages over the X800M2 but whether that justifies a $200+ price hike is debatable. I may replace the X1100ES with the X800M2 on the list.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Are you sure the Sony X800 M2 supports DVD-A? I own the original X800, and it only supports SACD. I didn't think that Sony ever supported the rival DVD-A format.
This was taken from the Crutchfield description of the 800M2:

Compatible disc format logos

The ultimate disc drive
Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800M2 will almost certainly be able to play it.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This was taken from the Crutchfield description of the 800M2:

Compatible disc format logos

The ultimate disc drive
Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection? No problem. If it’s a disc, the UBP-X800M2 will almost certainly be able to play it.
Thanks. If my Oppo 980H DVD player ever dies, it's good to know that the X800M2 can replace what I use it for -- SACD and DVD-A playback. I do wonder if Sony ever fixed the lock-up issue in the X800M2 that plagued my original X800, though. I rarely use the X800 since buying a Panasonic UB820, so had forgotten about the issue, but it all came back to me a couple of weeks ago when I inserted a SACD and the player locked up. Had to crawl on the floor to trace and pull the power plug (it cannot be unplugged from the player's end).

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Love my LG 4k Blu Ray player.

I’ve used it less and less recently as I purchased an apple 4k tv a year ago.

Doubleroll

Auditioning
Real Name
Vic
I own the M2 and it does indeed play DVD-A…purchased the Sony when my Linn Unidisk failed and no longer supported by Linn. It is a very good universal player .

john a hunter

Screenwriter
As an owner of the Panny 420 I can't recommend it enough.
Fantastic for use with a PJ although why the Panny players were all made without the ability to play back SA-CD when they can play back DSD files is beyond me.
Apparently a French company are about to release two "universal " Oppo busting players so we can keep our fingers crossed that more choice is on the horizon.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought the Panny DP-UB420 last fall to replace my failing Sony Blu-ray player and, like John, I can’t recommend it enough. It has everything I need at the right price and has played every disc I’ve thrown at it. I don’t even have to clean my UHD discs before I play them like some people are having to do.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I couldn’t agree more that this is the machine over both other Sony’s selected for the article that gives you more bang for your buck. The build quality is no slouch and the additional $350 for the 1100es for me went towards premium cables and many 4K disks. And it’s only $50 more than the 700 yet built very solid unlike the 700 and has many more features especially Bluetooth audio which was the deal breaker as my TV does not. I have the original 800 for the 3D 4K Triiluminous TV in the living room which led me to get this one for the HDR Triluminous TV in the bedroom as it’s solidly built machine with Bluetooth. Also if I were to go very high end I most likely would not go for a Sony. Just my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks