What's new

Simultaneous out to optical ... (1 Viewer)

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings!

Is there an AVR that can simultaneously output to optical regardless of what source is used?

Some AVRs I've looked say "assignable" but it seems that I need to configure to "a" source instead of the AVR always simultaneously outputting to optical. I also didn't know if I'm interpretting the "assignable" the right way. When it doesnt' say assignable, the optical jack seems to be aligned with "a" source on the back of the AVR hinting at that source is the only one the optical is connected to.

The reason I would like an AVR that has simultaneous optical out is because I have a little device that transmits the out to my cocklear implant with affecting the volume my family listens at. I don't know if this matters but the AVR will be driving B&W 603s2, LCR s2, 602 s2, & SVS-1000 in 5.1 setup. I think the fronts are rated upto 125W. I've been through SR-7000 and now 510BT. Want to keep the budget under $500. The 510BT doesn't seem to do simultaneous optical out from any source as I can only use my device hooked directly to a source device ... my son's PS4 to play DVD/BD; I connect my optical device to the PS4's optical jack, connect PS4's HDMI to 510BT, & set PS4 explicitly to simultaenously out to optical.

Thank you.
Takosan

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The optical connections you're referring to (assignable) are inputs, not outputs. So those won't work in any case.

Optical outputs on receivers are extremely rare, and reserved mostly for pretty high end equipment, and separates. Also, in almost every case, they will only work when the source is digital. Analog sources, if you use any, probably won't work.

It's going to take some real looking to find something that will do what you want. You might need to go with used.

I think what you'll need is a Zone 2 analog output that can be configured to work the way you need. Then, if you need optical digital, you'd connect that to an external ADC (analog to digital converter.)

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, thank you! I would have never imagined it was input intead of output :oops: No wonder when I plugged my optical into that jack, my device to send sound directly to my cochlear implant didn't work (I thought it was source specific when that happened).

If I can pick your brains a little more.

So I loved my SR-7000 & in-fact I still have it mothballed. I only got the 510BT because it was rather cheap comperatively and needed to do HDMI switching for my son's PS4 addition some time ago.

Although I never played with multizone on SR-7000 and admit that I don't know what it really means but is there any way to use both SR-7000 as main AVR in connection with a cheap DAC off Amazon plus the 510HT for HDMI switching? I would love to use the SR-7000 to drive my B&W & SVS 510BT. I don't know if this is (1) a stupid question (2) expensive proposition or (3) just stick with your suggestion of finding a AVR with "... a Zone 2 analog output that can be configured to work the way you need. Then, if you need optical digital, you'd connect that to an external ADC (analog to digital converter.)" to replae the 510BT.

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Circling back as I found this and was wondering if this will work?

Put above audio extractor in the following manner:

Source -------> 510BT AVR -------> audio extractor ----HDMI---> SmartTV
-------> 5.1 SPEAKERS --- OPTICAL ---> cochlear implant device

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was hoping someone would chime in. That should do what you want, but I know those extractors can have some weird side effects, like limiting which soundtrack is available.

I'm not sure your diagram is correct. You would connect all your sources to the receiver. This extractor canonly play sources plugged into the receiver, not the tuner or apps in the TV itself. Then instead of an hdmi going directly from the receiver's output to the TV, it would go from the receiver to the extractor, then on to the TV.

Takosan

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you! Yes, my diagram is not good - your " ... it would go from the receiver to the extractor, then on to the TV" is what I'm thinking plus extractor's optical out to my cochlear implant audio device. I will order tonight & try. I put a reminder in my calendar so in several weeks I'll be reminded to report back here. Stay tuned.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks