Simon & Garfunkel: The Concert In Central Park

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Keith Paynter, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

I don't know how I missed this one...

[​IMG]
    Aug. 19, 2003

It was inevitable - PBS has been playing this a lot this year. The disappointment in the broadcast was the dropping of Simon's 'new' song The Late Great Johnny Ace, notable for a fan rushing on stage during a verse about the death of John Lennon screaming, "I've got to talk to you! I've got to talk to you!", and a stunned Simon manages to continue. I don't know if this song is also missing from the new DVD, but does still exist on Fox's old VHS and LD editions.

A great event nonetheless.

2. Bob Graham

Bob Graham Supporting Actor

Bob Graham
    Just for the sake of completeness and full disclosure, "The Late Great Johnny Ace" is also on the old CBSFOX CED.

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

Specs please!

4. Keith Paynter

Songs are listed as follows:

1. Mrs. Robinson
    2. Homeward Bound
    3. America
    4. Me And Julio Down By The Schoolyard
    5. Scarborough Fair
    6. April Come She Will
    7. Wake Up Little Susie
    8. Still Crazy After All These Years
    9. American Tune
    10. Late In The Evening
    11. Slip Slidin' Away
    12. A Heart In New York
    13. Medley: Kodachrome / Maybelline
    14. Bridge Over Troubled Water
    15. Fifty Ways To Leave Your Lover
    16. The Boxer
    17. Old Friends/Bookends
    18. The 59th Street Bridge Song
    19. The Sounds Of Silence
    20. Late in the Evening (reprise)

No mention of audio specs, so expect this to likely be DD 2.0.

Too bad about the loss of The Late Great Johnny Ace, but this is not unexpected, as I said, since PBS has been airing it frequently this way. Hold on your your originals...

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    With the exclusion of Late Great Johnny Ace, I guess I'll have to pass on this.

- Steve

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

Good thing this was performed on a warm summer night. The two singers would have frozen otherwise. They barely look at one another.

7. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

The DVD is in Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo, full-screen, no extras. The concert duration is 87 minutes.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Was this ever issued on CED from CBS/FOX? The one I have is on MGM, though I have it on VHS from Fox.

9. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

10. Craig S

Craig S Producer
    Supporter

Craig Seanor
    I'll be passing as well, as I have the laser. With the loss of "Late Great Johnny Ace" (a GREAT song) and only DD 2.0 sound, there's simply no reason to upgrade.

Edit: OK, I THOUGHT I had the laser. I've got the 1991 Paul Simon Central Park concert. Now I can't even find my copy of the S&G VHS. AUGHHHH!

11. andrew markworthy

If you like Simon and Garfunkel, then get this disc - it is a lot better than some of the detractors on this thread have made it sound. Yes, it's 'only' stereo, but that was how it was originally mixed.

Having said that, there are a couple of gripes. First, what's on the DVD ain't the whole concert, if memory serves me correctly. I believe there were a couple of other numbers. Also, I suspect that the piano introduction to Bridge Over Troubled Water is truncated (certainly when S&G played Wembley Stadium the following year, the piano intro was several minutes long). I think that what we have on DVD is (with the exception of the omission of Johnny Ace, which I personally thought one of PS's weaker songs on Hearts and Bones) all that could be fitted on a vinyl double album (which of course has been available for the last twenty years or so).

12. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

13. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Why not use PCM instead of Dolby 2.0?

14. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

If the disc is starved for space, Dolby Digital take up about 1/20th of the room of a PCM when encoded at the 192 rate.

But in most cases, like here, where there's plenty of space...it's usually just because the disc producers don't have a clue...and assume that dolby digital is some "special feature" or logo that looks neat. Sometimes it's because the equipment is set up for DD mastering and they don't understand that unnecessary audio compression can hurt sound quality so they just leave everything set up like usual. 5.1 DD usually isn't as bad because at the 384 or 448 kbps it sounds decent enough even with 5.1 channels that it's not objectively bad (DD share's bits among channels so in a 5.1 mix bits get shifted around where they are needed most...which usually ends up in the front L/R channels of a 5.1 music mix). 2.0 at 192 sounds *objectively* inferior to my ear even without the PCM to directly compare.

Emmy Lou Harris' Spyboy is another example of a 2.0 DD music-DVD horror.

Some disc producers know what they're doing...and some would say things that would just *scare* you.

-dave

15. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I've enjoyed watching PBS play this amazing concert so I'll definitely be picking this up. It's too bad about the Johnny Ace song not being included but as long as "April Come She Will" is still there I'm happy. [​IMG]

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If you want it in PCM with wretched video quality there's a legit R0 Korean release

17. Keith Paynter

If Warner Brothers/Paul Simon/Phil Ramone/Lorne Michaels (Broadway Video) still had the original multitrack tapes and raw video footage this could have been given a remix and possible extension.

18. andrew markworthy

19. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Andrew:

Mrs. Wagner started making her pies in New Jersey in the 1950's or '60s, and they were well-known in that area going into the late '60s and early '70s. At some point in the late '60s, the business was sold, and, if I recall correctly, the pies were mass-marketed for quite a few years.

Suffice it to say that if you grew up in New York/New Jersey in the early '70s, as I did, you knew what a Mrs. Wagner pie tasted like. I remember them as small fruit pies, the size of a large tart, packaged in a small tin inside of a red and white cardboard box. They were cheap (25 cents, maybe 35 cents) and delicious, and far better than the pre-packaged snack cakes of today.

I recall them being available into the late '70s or perhaps early '80s, and then they were gone... [​IMG]

That's about as culturally-significant as I can make it. Everytime I hear "America," my favorite S&G tune, it takes me right back to my grandfather, sitting at his kitchen table, eating one of those little pies.

Now, if you can educate me as to the joys (?) of Branston pickle, I'd be much obliged. I consider myself fairly adventurous when it comes to sampling the foods of other lands, but I just couldn't bear this stuff when I recently tried it with some Welsh rarebit (at Tea & Sympathy, in NYC).

20. Steven_M Grimes

Steven_M Grimes Stunt Coordinator