What's new

Simon & Garfunkel: The Concert In Central Park (1 Viewer)

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
Incidentally, there seems to be some confusion about The Late Great Johnny Ace. It *IS* on the disc
Andrew, at what timing does it fall? I tried to browse through the DVD, because I didn't have time to watch the whole thing, but couldn't find it. It's a minor annoyance that the chapters don't come at the beginning of each tune; instead they are for chunks of songs.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Now, if you can educate me as to the joys (?) of Branston pickle
Angelo, thanks for the info on the Mrs Wagner pies. As for Branston Pickle, I think it's safe to say that it's something that you either love or hate. I personally don't like the stuff either (I think it's too strong), but there are plenty of Brits who do (it's an apples and pears type thing). The Brits are very keen on chutneys and condiments (probably a relic of our connections with India), and Branston Pickle is one of a whole host of such concoctions widely available.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Damn cheap - you can buy the Fox DVD for less than the WB CD, and you get the extra songs, to boot!

$11.00 CDN at A&B Sound!

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
My first post.

I saw this today at Costco and it looks like a direct port from laserdisc to DVD. I have the LD and have had it for a number of years and hell, I don't recall the Johnny Ace song being on there... nor the dude running on stage. I guess I will need to check it out tonight.

I normally play this disc in straight stereo for the best sound.

If this had been remixed in DTS, I would have bought it in a heartbeat. Hi resolution stereo... even better.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There is a R0 Korean DTS/PCM release. I hear the video is awful though. I doubt the DTS mix is any more than an encode with the surrounds broken out using DPL

As has already been pointed out "The Late Great Johnny Ace" *is* included on the Fox dvd.

It's on track 8, right after Garfunkel's "A Heart In New York".

No mention of it on the dvd-menu or on the inlay card though !?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I had not seen the "Johnny Ace" footage before. The guy runs up just as Simon is singing about John Lennon's death. He must have been freaked out, yet he did a good job of keeping it together. The whole sequence is just chilling. I'm kind of amazed it made it onto the DVD.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I finally had the chance to pick this up recently and I'll be damned if this DVD doesn't get my "Most Difficult To Remove From DVD Player" award. I mean this sucker is just hardwired into my player as if I shouldn't even need to put the disc in to watch this thing anymore. It just proves to me that a ten dollar DVD can actually be a priceless part of my collection. Chapter 8, Heart in New York and Late Great Johnny Ace is probably the most played section of the disc.

Fantastic. :emoji_thumbsup:

One thing though, I'm still trying to figure out if that guy that rushes the stage during Johnny Ace- is that staged? I mean it all fit together so perfectly, Simon's lyrics about a stranger coming up to him coupled with the pause during the song, it's either gotta be staged or perfect timing on that guy's part because it all seemed so natural.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks