What's new

Simon and Simon Season 3 Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I guess that i am fortunate in North America that if your order is over $40.00 then you can get free shipping. I like Simon & Simon, but, i found shout factory site very difficult to navigate and did not like there was no option to consolidate shipments.

I hope to purchase more simon & simon down the road, but, i prefer using amazon.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Originally Posted by younger1968

I guess that i am fortunate in North America that if your order is over $40.00 then you can get free shipping. I like Simon & Simon, but, i found shout factory site very difficult to navigate and did not like there was no option to consolidate shipments.

I hope to purchase more simon & simon down the road, but, i prefer using amazon.

You can still order it from Amazon but I think it´s too expensive for you, now.

So wait until it gets cheaper and then you can buy Season 5!

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

Gobsmacked. My fifth season set arrived in the post today.

Please give us a review of Season 5 as fast as possible.....

I´ll probably receive Season 5 on Friday or Saturday....

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Surprise, surprise....-I received my Amazon package today and already watched in some scenes of Season 5.

First of all let me tell you that I´m quite dissapointed with the picture quality of Season 5.

I´ve just watched some scenes of Season 1,2 and 4 and I think that Season 5 looks the worst as far as picture quality is concerned.

Season 1 from Universal for instance looked much better than Season 5.

There´s lot of dirt and the picture isn´t sharp at all.....

I´m not an expert when it comes to picture quality but to me Season 5 looks bad.....

But let´s wait until some other users reviews......

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I'm not saying this is the reason why, but did they change the way Simon & Simon was shot, from film to videotape (giving it a softer picture quality)? Did it have the same look Dallas had in the 1986-89 seasons? Ditto with Falcon Crest from the 1985-86 season onwards?

Disappointed that there are no synopsis' for the fifth season episodes and 1995 reunion TV movie on the reverse of the DVD sleeve (the first three seasons of Mannix were released as a single DVD case with the discs inside, and CBS DVD were able to put synopsis' for all of the episodes in each set on the reverse side of the DVD sleeve. Have Shout! Factory done this to save costs? They could have reduced the size of the lettering and have still made the episode synopsis' readable.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

Please give us a review of Season 5 as fast as possible.....

I´ll probably receive Season 5 on Friday or Saturday....

I wasn't on here at the time you made your post. I haven't tested the six discs out yet, so I wouldn't have been able to post comments and observations on the fifth season set.

I was expecting the set not to arrive until sometime around the end of August, and to have to pay customs charges.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
WaveCrest: I only asked you for a review of Season 5 because I thought I wouldn´t get my discs until the end of the week...

I don´t have Falcon Crest or Dallas on DVD, therefore I can´t answer your question.

But I own many CBS/Paramount shows that got remastered such as "Streets of San Francisco", Vega$, Matt Houston, Hawaii Five 0.

The picture quality of these shows are much better than "Simon and Simon-Season 5"!

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
I´ve just watched an episode of Season 5(Disc 3) and the picture quality let me speechless.

Such a bad picture quality is an insult to my eyes....-unbelievable!

I paid so much money for such a miserable picture quality!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard

Originally Posted by Mr. Pacino

I´ve just watched an episode of Season 5(Disc 3) and the picture quality let me speechless.

Such a bad picture quality is an insult to my eyes....-unbelievable!

I paid so much money for such a miserable picture quality!

Tested out all six discs earlier (only skipped through the chapters). I'm going to ask about this on the Shout! Factory community boards. I agree, the picture looks inferior compared to the fourth season set (my memory of testing the discs out in that set is fresher). The reunion movie looks sharp in places and the colours are vibrant.

Other comments and observations (the first three are about the menu screens):

1.) No clip from an episode on the disc, which leads to an explosion on the screen, leading to the first menu screen.

2.) There is no second menu screen. Just one menu screen with "Play All" and the episodes on each disc.

3.) Gone also is the first season theme tune, which was used on the episode menu screens in Shout! Factory's releases of the second to fourth season sets.

.) When you skip through the chapters of one episode, and get to the last chapter, instead of going back to the menu screen it goes onto the 30 second teaser of the next episode on the disc.

5.) When you skip to the second chapter of an episode, it dosen't go to after the end of the title sequence when the episode title appears onscreen.

6.) The last chapter of the episode dosen't begin with the start of the end credits.

7.) There's no mention of any episodes being syndicated masters on the menu screens on all six discs.

Maybe the masters used for all of the 24 fifth season episodes in this set were the best Shout! Factory could find? Some of the episodes, when I skipped through the chapters, did have a picture quality like the episodes in the fourth season set which weren't syndicated masters. Others have sharp edges and look like they were shot on film and not videotape.

None of the discs were scratched, which I was expecting with discs 1 and 6 (which are attached directly onto the inside of the single DVD case).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
It does not sound like the quality of 5th season was very good. I did not purchased the S5, because it was only available on Shout Factory direct program. I am not a big fan of shout factory's direct ordering and prefer Amazon.ca, especially in lieu i get free shipping if my order is over a certain value.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Well it's been virtually six months since the release of the fifth season of Simon & Simon and no word yet on the sixth season. But a post by Brian Ward in the Simon & Simon: Season 6 thread on the Shout! Factory forum sounds optimistic. I'm expecting it to be a longer wait between season set releases, as the last season was released as a Shout! Select title. If the sixth season was released at the same price as the fifth season it wouldn't be too bad. But it would be interesting to see how much Shout! Factory will charge for Seasons 7 & 8, either as separate season sets or together as one boxset (because of there being 16 episodes in Season 7 and 13 episodes in Season 8).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Update on the news posted on TVShowsOnDVD. I posted about this news in the Simon & Simon: Season 6 thread on Shout! Factory's forum, and Brian Ward posted that as of the moment they are not releasing Season 6, because of astronomical music costs.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
I emailed Madman last week about Simon & Simon (and Quincy, M.E.), suggesting them for release by Madman. Received a reply today:

[FONT= 'sans-serif']Thank you for your suggestions.[/FONT]

[FONT= 'sans-serif'] [/FONT]

[FONT= 'sans-serif']The good news is that both Simon & Simon, and the complete third season of Quincy M.E are being released in July.[/FONT]

I'm assuming Madman are starting with the first season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by cajunhillbilly

If the only way to get season 6, 7 and 8 to complete my set is to buy from Australia, I will do so.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll do a good job with the show on DVD, based on their McCloud boxset releases. I wonder whether it's worth emailing them and letting then know about music clearance problems with Season 6. They didn't say in their email reply whether they're starting with the first season or picking up later in the show's run.

mrmike898

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Wagner
Originally Posted by WaveCrest

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll do a good job with the show on DVD, based on their McCloud boxset releases. I wonder whether it's worth emailing them and letting then know about music clearance problems with Season 6. They didn't say in their email reply whether they're starting with the first season or picking up later in the show's run.

Music clearances shouldn't be a problem, as that is an issue isolated to mainly just the U.S.

Mr. Pacino

Second Unit
Real Name
Nico
Season 5 of "Simon and Simon" had by far the worst picture quality of all seasons.

If they release Season 6-8 like Season 5, I won´t buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks