shows that have been destroyed

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by jimmyjet, May 12, 2013.

1. Jack P

Jack P Producer

There are a lot of stories I could share about Ewing that would make you reverse your judgment of him as someone who should be "respected" on a personal level, particularly in the way he handles customer relations. But that is not for this forum. Suffice to say, the person who had Super Bowl I, did IMO everything that should have been expected of him in terms of getting the best professionals to preserve the tape from destruction and from that point on, he has every right to expect a fair deal from the NFL considering how profitable a commercial release of the broadcast would be to them.

2. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    I was referring to 'Police Surgeon'. The one episode & all the surviving bits of 'The Avengers' S1 appear on the recent UK releases.

3. Mark Y

Mark Y Supporting Actor

Winchell-Mahoney Time was being shown in syndication in the late 1960s. WFLD-TV Channel 32 ran it in Chicago. I heard some years ago that when the tapes were later junked, they saved a few...and the only reason they saved the ones they did was because the tapes were damaged and couldn't be reused.

4. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Cinematographer

Ewing also has complete kinescopes of game 1 of the 1955 World Series, all 7 games of the 1957 Series and that's just what he admits to. Who knows what else. These were also from that same flea market pickup where he got the Larson game. The first reel of that game is missing because the moron who was selling all of that stuff had sold the film projector and left that reel on it!

5. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    :rolling-smiley: :laugh: DOH! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

6. jimmyjet

jimmyjet Producer

it does not seem like much of primetime was destroyed. i did watch the avengers as a kid. so i guess that is one show that i wont see again, at least not from the originals.

7. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    As far as American Shows,since the studios filmed, not live or video tape, their shows, very little is missing.

THE AVENGERS from The Dianna Rigg shows onward exist in the original 35mm elements,which is why the DVDs look fantastic. Season's 2 & 3 - The Honnor Blackman episodes only exist as Telerecordings/Kinescopes., but they all exist. And only 2 1/2 shows exist from season 1.

8. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello

9. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    Yes, I've seen several clips from 1970-75 Bandstand (the period most quoted as being lost or destroyed). I find it a bit hard to believe that all of Bandstand upto 1976 has been destroyed. When the series Motown on Showtime was being aired, several clips of Motown acts on Bandstand were shown. I do recall seeing at least three different clips of Michael Jackson on Bandstand that were from 1970-73 and they were not in black and white. So, there are probably more surviving early Bandstand than we are aware of.

10. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    I've seen many AB clips on those Time Life info- mercials . As I mentioned in my last post ,I've heard that Dick Clark kept copies of all of the shows. If this is true , this is as great resource on the early days of rock and roll onward . Let's hope this is true.. Clark has become iconic in death , so maybe a company like Shout factory will look into releasing some of this vast library. This amterial would probably sell even better in Europe than in the USA. By the way , I know that Clark made a tape of Duane Eddy's appearances and gave it to him . Eddy appeared many times on AB , so those shows must exist.

11. Clyde's Place

Don't know if anybody would be interested but there is a DVD available of the NBC broadcast of the Rose Bowl from 1969. This game featured Ohio State vs. USC, and was O.J. Simpson's final collegiate game. I had seen this available some years back and never thought much of it until browsing through this thread. The way I understand it, this broadcast was preserved by Ohio State because it was a big historical event that gave them the National Championship. I did a quick search on Amazon backwards to 1966 and could find no other Rose Bowl games for those years, although they may well be available. So thanks for this thread because it reminded me to add this to my collection.

12. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Another BBC series (very popular there at the time) that was mostly wiped is Dad's Army series 2. Unfortunately it is the first series I ever saw of it, the one that hooked me...

13. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Half-wiped at this point, but only because they were lucky enough to find half the episodes from the 6 episode season.

And there's still a S3 episode that's in Black and White because the color recording was wiped and a B&W kinescope is all that remains. Plus, some christmas specials and other odds and ends were wiped along the way.

But still, that R2 Complete series is so nice.

14. AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney Cinematographer

True, but it fared far better than many other BBC comedies of the time. Till Death Us Do Part has a shocking number of black-and-white episodes still missing (more than half). There's a large number of BBC Benny Hill Shows long-gone (not to mention almost all of his half-hour Benny Hill sitcom). I think Frankie Howerd's 1960s output is mostly wiped, and the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore Not Only...But Also... is one of the more infamous wipings (the BBC wiped them even after Pete and Dud offered to buy the tapes or to pay for their storage).

15. LouA

LouA Screenwriter

Lou Antonicello
    Is Shindig among the lost shows?

16. Brian Himes

Brian Himes Screenwriter

Brian
    No. Shindig still exists 100% complete.

17. PatrickGoodluck

PatrickGoodluck Stunt Coordinator

Patrick
    Most, if not all the Shindig! shows exist in kinescope form. I wish the same could be said for the 1960's/early 70's Top Of The Pops shows. As for American Bandstand, who knows how much Dick Clark owned? Certainly at least must be a lot more than what has been let out amongst collectors in 16mm. I remember watching the 33 1/3 Bandstand special in 1985 which included many brief music clips that I've never seen turn up complete. I seem to recall most of the clips were from the 50's and 60's period.

18. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    The local kids show in Baton Rouge, LA called Buckskin Bill Black's Storyland. I contacted WAFB, the local CBS affiliate with a suggestion that they should release some on DVD-R when they were trying to find ideas to raise money to build a statue of him at a local zoo but I was informed that aside from the first episode the rest were wiped though he does have some in his private collection. I had several of the later ones on VHS tape but they were lost to flood.

19. Neil Brock

The first season Avengers which don't exist never aired in the United States so unless you lived in England in 1961 then you never saw them.

20. Neil Brock

There may be one episode and some segments that still exist on the original black and white 2-inch tapes but the rest are all kinescopes.