What's new

shows that have been destroyed (2 Viewers)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There are a lot of stories I could share about Ewing that would make you reverse your judgment of him as someone who should be "respected" on a personal level, particularly in the way he handles customer relations. But that is not for this forum. Suffice to say, the person who had Super Bowl I, did IMO everything that should have been expected of him in terms of getting the best professionals to preserve the tape from destruction and from that point on, he has every right to expect a fair deal from the NFL considering how profitable a commercial release of the broadcast would be to them.

Silverking

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Street
AndyMcKinney said:
I'm pretty sure "Guns of Will Sonnett" was rerun on CBN in the mid '80s.

As for your other comment, were you talking of "The Avengers" or "Police Surgeon" only having a single episode existing? If the former, a second episode (Girl on a Trapeze) was discovered at UCLA (of all places), plus an extract from Hot Snow.
I was referring to 'Police Surgeon'. The one episode & all the surviving bits of 'The Avengers' S1 appear on the recent UK releases.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
oldtvshowbuff said:
Consider the case of Paul Winchell and his dummy, Jerry Mahoney, who did a daily local color hour-long show in LA in 1963-64 and later syndicated by Metromedia, which wanted to recut those tapes into half-hour highlight shows. Winchell told Metromedia that he should supervise the editing, but they told him if he didn't sign a contract with them to give them the power to edit whatever they please with those 250 episodes, those tapes would be destroyed, and so they did, they hauled them all away, 250 2-inch wide tape reels in a dumpster, probably all dumped into the Pacific Ocean for all intents and purposes. Winchell sued for breach of contract, but he retained a few of those tapes, but they can never be seen again.OH, WHAT BIG DUMMIES THEY ARE, METROMEDIA!!!
Winchell-Mahoney Time was being shown in syndication in the late 1960s. WFLD-TV Channel 32 ran it in Chicago. I heard some years ago that when the tapes were later junked, they saved a few...and the only reason they saved the ones they did was because the tapes were damaged and couldn't be reused.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Jack P said:
There are a lot of stories I could share about Ewing that would make you reverse your judgment of him as someone who should be "respected" on a personal level, particularly in the way he handles customer relations. But that is not for this forum. Suffice to say, the person who had Super Bowl I, did IMO everything that should have been expected of him in terms of getting the best professionals to preserve the tape from destruction and from that point on, he has every right to expect a fair deal from the NFL considering how profitable a commercial release of the broadcast would be to them.
Ewing also has complete kinescopes of game 1 of the 1955 World Series, all 7 games of the 1957 Series and that's just what he admits to. Who knows what else. These were also from that same flea market pickup where he got the Larson game. The first reel of that game is missing because the moron who was selling all of that stuff had sold the film projector and left that reel on it!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Neil Brock said:
The first reel of that game is missing because the moron who was selling all of that stuff had sold the film projector and left that reel on it!
:rolling-smiley: :laugh: DOH! :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
it does not seem like much of primetime was destroyed. i did watch the avengers as a kid. so i guess that is one show that i wont see again, at least not from the originals.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
jimmyjet said:
it does not seem like much of primetime was destroyed. i did watch the avengers as a kid. so i guess that is one show that i wont see again, at least not from the originals.
As far as American Shows,since the studios filmed, not live or video tape, their shows, very little is missing.

THE AVENGERS from The Dianna Rigg shows onward exist in the original 35mm elements,which is why the DVDs look fantastic. Season's 2 & 3 - The Honnor Blackman episodes only exist as Telerecordings/Kinescopes., but they all exist. And only 2 1/2 shows exist from season 1.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Neil Brock said:
The CBS run of Merv Griffin was wiped. All but maybe 30 Joey Bishop talk shows are gone as ABC regularly used to donate their 2-inch tapes to colleges for tape stock. That's where the few that survive were recovered. Most of American Bandstand prior to 1976 is gone. Most of That Was The Week That Was is gone. Many episodes of Hootenanny are unaccounted for. The prints of Don't Call Me Charlie supposedly were destroyed in a fire in Arizona so except for a couple of episodes that show is gone. The majority of the live episodes of both Mama and The Goldbergs don't exist, likewise other live early shows like Meet Millie and My Friend Irma. Most Jack Paar and Steve Allen Tonight Shows are gone. Lots more if I thought about it for a while.

It seems that loads of B & W clips from American Bandstand turn up regularly. I've also heard that Dick Clark maintained a library with copies of most AB show.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
LouA said:
It seems that loads of B & W clips from American Bandstand turn up regularly. I've also heard that Dick Clark maintained a library with copies of most AB show.
Yes, I've seen several clips from 1970-75 Bandstand (the period most quoted as being lost or destroyed). I find it a bit hard to believe that all of Bandstand upto 1976 has been destroyed. When the series Motown on Showtime was being aired, several clips of Motown acts on Bandstand were shown. I do recall seeing at least three different clips of Michael Jackson on Bandstand that were from 1970-73 and they were not in black and white. So, there are probably more surviving early Bandstand than we are aware of.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I've seen many AB clips on those Time Life info- mercials . As I mentioned in my last post ,I've heard that Dick Clark kept copies of all of the shows. If this is true , this is as great resource on the early days of rock and roll onward . Let's hope this is true.. Clark has become iconic in death , so maybe a company like Shout factory will look into releasing some of this vast library. This amterial would probably sell even better in Europe than in the USA. By the way , I know that Clark made a tape of Duane Eddy's appearances and gave it to him . Eddy appeared many times on AB , so those shows must exist.

Real Name
Joe
Don't know if anybody would be interested but there is a DVD available of the NBC broadcast of the Rose Bowl from 1969. This game featured Ohio State vs. USC, and was O.J. Simpson's final collegiate game. I had seen this available some years back and never thought much of it until browsing through this thread. The way I understand it, this broadcast was preserved by Ohio State because it was a big historical event that gave them the National Championship. I did a quick search on Amazon backwards to 1966 and could find no other Rose Bowl games for those years, although they may well be available. So thanks for this thread because it reminded me to add this to my collection.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Another BBC series (very popular there at the time) that was mostly wiped is Dad's Army series 2. Unfortunately it is the first series I ever saw of it, the one that hooked me...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CraigF said:
Another BBC series (very popular there at the time) that was mostly wiped is Dad's Army series 2. Unfortunately it is the first series I ever saw of it, the one that hooked me...
Half-wiped at this point, but only because they were lucky enough to find half the episodes from the 6 episode season.

And there's still a S3 episode that's in Black and White because the color recording was wiped and a B&W kinescope is all that remains. Plus, some christmas specials and other odds and ends were wiped along the way.

But still, that R2 Complete series is so nice.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
CraigF said:
True, but it fared far better than many other BBC comedies of the time. Till Death Us Do Part has a shocking number of black-and-white episodes still missing (more than half). There's a large number of BBC Benny Hill Shows long-gone (not to mention almost all of his half-hour Benny Hill sitcom). I think Frankie Howerd's 1960s output is mostly wiped, and the Peter Cook/Dudley Moore Not Only...But Also... is one of the more infamous wipings (the BBC wiped them even after Pete and Dud offered to buy the tapes or to pay for their storage).

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Most, if not all the Shindig! shows exist in kinescope form. I wish the same could be said for the 1960's/early 70's Top Of The Pops shows. As for American Bandstand, who knows how much Dick Clark owned? Certainly at least must be a lot more than what has been let out amongst collectors in 16mm. I remember watching the 33 1/3 Bandstand special in 1985 which included many brief music clips that I've never seen turn up complete. I seem to recall most of the clips were from the 50's and 60's period.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
The local kids show in Baton Rouge, LA called Buckskin Bill Black's Storyland. I contacted WAFB, the local CBS affiliate with a suggestion that they should release some on DVD-R when they were trying to find ideas to raise money to build a statue of him at a local zoo but I was informed that aside from the first episode the rest were wiped though he does have some in his private collection. I had several of the later ones on VHS tape but they were lost to flood.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
jimmyjet said:
The first season Avengers which don't exist never aired in the United States so unless you lived in England in 1961 then you never saw them.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Brian Himes said:
No. Shindig still exists 100% complete.
There may be one episode and some segments that still exist on the original black and white 2-inch tapes but the rest are all kinescopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks