What's new

Should I upgrade? Add an amp or new receiver? (1 Viewer)

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Arthur S: At first I was concerned about that, too. But Tom (he and Ron own SVS, in case some of you don't know that) assured me that in reality this wouldn't be a problem. And I figured he should know. :) So, sure enough, when I got my SVS subwoofer (using a 100Hz crossover) I found out that I couldn't tell there was any sound coming from the sub. The bass sounds like it's all coming from the main speakers at the front of the room (the sub is in a rear corner), or sometimes it sounds like it's coming from everywhere at once, with no particular point of origin, it's just there. It sounds great! :) And this then also freed up the amplifier to have tons of spare power for the main speakers to handle even the loudest moments in movies with no problem.

When you hear what a really powerful subwoofer can do in movies, you will be amazed at how much better (not just louder) everything sounds. I mean, why just throw more power at the speakers when you can get superb bass well beyond anything you've ever heard in your system before, and on top of that get an effective increase in the power available to your speakers (in other words, a double benefit) while only having to buy one thing for about the same cost as a more powerful receiver? You might as well just buy the great subwoofer, causing a boost to the power for your speakers, and get excellent bass for movies as a very nice bonus. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks