Setting center channel to "LARGE"

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by PhillipC, Mar 28, 2003.

1. PhillipC

PhillipC Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering what everyone has their center channel set to? Would this be a good idea? I have Paradigm reference speakers all around and my Studio 100's are set to large only. I am running without a sub

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Look at how people with multiple subs are advised to position them: in the same corner/location.

Setting more speakers to LARGE creates the same problem as having multiple subs in different locations: complex peaks in the room.

It also draws more power from your receiver/amp to drive that woofer.

But.. try it. It cannot hurt to do the experiment.

3. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

If the center speaker has the range, try large for sure. Why introduce another filter into the dialog if you don't have to?

4. Jon G.

Jon G. Stunt Coordinator

Paradigm Reference Studio CC definately does NOT have the range to be set to large. I have the same center and have measured it's output and find it drops at least -3 dbs around 70Hz, your room may vary...

I have mine crossed over at 70Hz.

5. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

If the PRS CC is -3 dB at 70, I would not filter at 70 - this will create a dip in the FR at that point. 80 Hz would be a much better choice.

A rule of thumb is to filter a half octave above the -3 dB point, so the speaker does not start to naturally roll-off while also being filtered, thus creating a dip in the FR.

These high pass filters are not brick walls - they are usually 12 dB/octave or 18 dB/octave, so the speaker will be asked to play well below the filter point.

Some DVD's have full range, full power signals in all channels, including the center. I've never seen a center channel with an F3 of much less than 50 Hz - they almost have to be high passed in order not to lose the bass in that channel.

Regards,

Ed

6. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I used to run my DefTech CLR-2000 in Large. I figured it could take it so why not? I never really gave it another thought untill I was bored one day and experimented with it.

It sounded much better for movies when set to small. Music wasn't all that different but movies & general TV watching was better in Small.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Jon G.

Jon G. Stunt Coordinator

yeah, I meant I filtered my PRS CC at 80Hz, brain fart there...

9. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

Another consideration. Isn't it true that some soundtracks have no LFE track. If this is so, all the bass is in the 5 discrete channels and if they are large, you are effectively "wasting" your subwoofer.

10. Scot Pritchard

Scot Pritchard Stunt Coordinator

what about a b&w htm1 center could i set this to large?

11. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

12. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

If a speaker can't do an honest 45-50hz (at ~90-100dB), I wouldn't set it as Large....you would lose the information that the speaker cannot reproduce.

13. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

14. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

Yes, this can certainly be a factor.

I have an AudioControl RTA connected line-level to my system giving a real-time, full-range reading of the program’s frequency response. Anytime I hear it, the RTA display verifies the source of it is the program – a no-brainer when you see a voice give a severe “haystack” curve that peaks as low as 60Hz.

But I'm with you - in either case (placement or program content) setting the center to small gets the best results. Setting it to large will only aggravate the problem.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt