What's new

Separate Amp vs Better Receiver (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Scott
OK. What better use of money. Denon AVRx-3700 + Monolith 5x (about $1300+ $1400) OR just a better receiver like a AVRX-6700. This is for a guy that would not go bigger than 7.2 and running sub/satellite speakers. I guess this gets to the heart of how much does a separate amp benefit a system with fairly small and efficient speakers AND how much sound improvement does the better recevier buy you with its lower THD? My satellites are 5 1/4 woofers and 1" dome tweeters. 8 ohm.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
OK. What better use of money. Denon AVRx-3700 + Monolith 5x (about $1300+ $1400) OR just a better receiver like a AVRX-6700. This is for a guy that would not go bigger than 7.2 and running sub/satellite speakers. I guess this gets to the heart of how much does a separate amp benefit a system with fairly small and efficient speakers AND how much sound improvement does the better recevier buy you with its lower THD? My satellites are 5 1/4 woofers and 1" dome tweeters. 8 ohm.

There are a couple of other factors you might also want to consider.

• Room size - If your room is dedicated and on the larger side [200 cubic ft] I would strongly suggest separates
  • Long-term cost - Amps are amps and can easily last a lifetime. Receivers pack a whole lot into a single chassis and also evolve over time as new standards/features emerge. You're much more likely to replace that expensive receiver due to either obsolescence or failure at some point.
A lot more information on this general topic can be found here if you're interested.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
...and what models are the speakers?

With this type of approach, I generally advocate a three channel amp to drive the front speakers, and leave the receiver to drive the rest, rather than a five channel amp. I think, for most people, the 3700/3 channel amp option is better use of $ than a 6700.

BTW, small speakers are typically not as efficient as large ones. They can be, but generally they aren't.

Real Name
Scott
...and what models are the speakers?

With this type of approach, I generally advocate a three channel amp to drive the front speakers, and leave the receiver to drive the rest, rather than a five channel amp. I think, for most people, the 3700/3 channel amp option is better use of $ than a 6700.

BTW, small speakers are typically not as efficient as large ones. They can be, but generally they aren't.
Speakers are a 5.1 setup. Phase Technology Teatro Series 6.5 center and 4.5 L/R and rears. Sub is a HSU vt2mk5. I currently own a Denon avr-x3000 and looking to upgrade probably when the new models come out. My X3000 can’t even handle the latest 4k security protocols. The area is a family room that’s connected to a kitchen so the total area is pretty big. About 16x40 feet. Or a little over 5000 cubic feet.

I was poking around looking for info on my speakers and came across this, not my video but demos the 4.5’s.

Last edited:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
With manufacturers cramming more and more amplifier channels into an AVR chassis, amplifier specs (and performance) are really suffering. Seems to me that a good amplifier for at least the front channels would never be a bad choice.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks