What's new

Second project - Tempest sub. I start Saturday! Any last minute tips? (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I'm happy to report that one of my projects will get the go ahead on Saturday. A Tempest dedicated to music, which will be used with my Martin Logan speakers.

After talking to Adire, they convinced me from changing my ported EBS design to an Adire Alignment setup.

I'll deliver the plans to a local carpenter, who has been highly recommended for his exotic and unusual designs. I'll tell him to deliver an MDF box in the stated dimensions, and to use his imagination on the outside of the box. All I'm going to ask for is that the sub be finished with glossy black paint and a couple of coats of clearcoat People have told me to expect something out of the ordinary, so I'm happy (I think there will be some motifs outside the box, and stuff like that).

So far, the tips I've been thinking on giving him are:

1) DON'T use screws on the box, but rather glue everything and clamp it.

2) Be sure to caulk the inside of the box.

3) Follow the inside dimensions perfectly.

Is there anything I'm missing?

Also, if someone thinks an AA is not an optimal design for music... now is the time. I still have a chance to build any other design (a Q=0.707 sealed box, perhaps?)

I'm anxious to start this!

Javier.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
Wow i wish i had the money to have a buy build me a tempest, but wait, i wouldn't of had the fun building it i had.

i think my idea of implementing glue blocks, see sig, is a great idea for sonstructing a rock solid box, not only to you tighen everything up, you all so pull almost all the bows out of the MDF, but you loss that valuable internal volume.

a good tip is to use buscuits, to save time when clamping.

don't skimp on the bracing,

t nuts for installing all hardware, it saved my back, uninstalling all hardware before moving lighened up my box by about 50 pounds, i can lift it and walk it around by grabing the amp hole and the driver hole, its about 120-140 so that extra weight that i took off make is so much more easier to move.

other then that its all up to him on design, what type of feet are you going to use? spikes?

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
A Tempest dedicated to music
I would definitely go sealed. Music doesn't stress a Tempest and it certainly doesn't need to extend low enough to need a ported enclosure.

Besides, there isn't a whole lot of difference between an EBS and an Adire Alignment, IMO. The room will have much greater influence on the sound.

Pete

KyleGS

Second Unit
I have to agree with the above post. Strictly for music I would go with the 122L sealed design. Mine extends much lower than what is needed for all music excluding huge pipe organs. I am about -3 at 23hz and pulled a 101.5db @20hz. I wouldn't trade the 122L design for anything.

I agree with the above. My 122L sealed is fantastic. I can't imagine a ported version of this - or throwing more wattage at it. I'm using the 250W PE amp and am often amazed at the bass this thing can crank out. I use my sub for about 90% HT. My 281's will soon fill in the mid bass that I'm lacking right now. I have a few pictures at http://home.nc.rr.com/rodandpam/diyht_projects.htm if you're interested. Please excuse the cookie cutter Frontpage design. That's all that I've had time to throw together. Good luck with your Tempest this weekend! - Rod

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
WAAAAAHHH!!!!!

I went to two carpenters yesterday.

First one: "I only build luxury (read - expensive) furniture. Your project is not up to my standards (or something)". Blah.

Second one: "Uh... I can't understand what you are trying to do here. What is this? (explanation). Look, I can't build something I haven't seen before. And you can't provide me with the MDF, either (someone asks what is MDF). Oh, it's this wood... hollow, light and cheap (at least he got one out of 3 right). Let me see your plans and I'll call you if I can understand them".

I'm sensing a bit of... well... trouble here.

Fortunately, a carpenter is due to come to my new home to build some closets and floors. He's a good guy, but he doesn't do furniture. Maybe I can ask him to teach me how to use the tools of the trade. How hard can it be to build a sealed 122L Tempest?

:D

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Find someone who can do the precision cutting of the MDF for you, provide them the cut sheet. Then you will need to buy glue and clamps to put it together. You will also need to buy a router or saber saw or jigsaw to cut the hole for the driver. And you'll need a drill for the screw holes.

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I think its appropriate for me to throw in my $0.02

I love my 122L Tempest.

If I had more space I would have went vented for HT purposes. However, for music only - I think sealed is the way to go.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
I love my AA Tempest so much!

It is tight, loud, and goes very, very deep. I cant ask for more. Oh wait, yes I can.

Im gonna build another one.

:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Ryan T

Second Unit
If you can manage the size I would go for a 230L sealed Tempest. It will go lower than the 122L and have better transient response. Also it will not require as much power to get it going. All in all I guess it depends on what type of music you listen to. If you like rap, rock and pop type music then the 122L Will give you more punch in the 35 Hz range. But if you listen to jazz, classical or organ type music the 230L will sound much better.

Ryan

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
My 122L sealed in room has an F3 of 21hz.

As always, your results may (will) vary.

I don't think deeper is necessary for a music only system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reconbo
Recent bookmarks