What's new

Sean Penn (1 Viewer)

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
"retard"
What a hateful word. What a horrible world we live in when people can use such a word without any apparant embarrassment at their own shortcomings as a human being.
Personally, I think the real reason why this film is so reviled is not that it's a bad film (it's an ok film, not great, not bad) but that people hate to be reminded that there are people with disabilities in the world. The depiction of mental retardation especially seems to bring out the worst in those who are frightened of anything out of the norm. Since Sean Penn did a brilliant job of portraying someone with mental retardation, it's not surprising that he would be dumped on. I'm glad he was nominated for an Academy Award though. The nomination was well-deserved.
----------
Luc: As for the Pledge, I don't know what film some of you were watching but I thought it was brilliant.
Agreed 100%! I thought it was one of the best films of 2000. It should have been nominated for Best Actor (Jack Nicholson, finally acting again after all these years!), Best Director and Best Screenplay.
One of my favorite Penn films is At Close Range. Penn and Christopher Walken are at their peak and are dynamic as father and son.

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
I agree with Vickie.

The Pledge was brilliant and I couldn't agree more about Nicholson finally stretching his acting chops more than he has done in recent years.

At Close Range is another excellent showcase for Penn (as well as Walken).

And those comments that Penn made about Hollywood rang true to me. Hollywood dishes about more crap than it does anything truly original and thought provoking.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What a hateful word. What a horrible world we live in when people can use such a word without any apparant embarrassment at their own shortcomings as a human being.
What a horrible world we live in where people can so callously judge others by the use of one word.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks