What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

SCTV DVD Blog & Petition for Season 3 Uncut (1 Viewer)

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
SCTV is entertaining and I have all of the 4th, 5th, and 6th seasons (the NBC years) on DVD, but before you petition for the 3rd season, why not try to get the first 2 years also?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Shaw, the edits were done years ago. I had a friend that worked at the company that owns the SCTV masters, and he watched as musical material was cut out, and that was ages ago.

Gord

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
To Gord:

You obviously have insider information... what would you suggest?

threerandot

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Of course fans always want their shows uncut. But the reality is that variety-type shows with music are not always going to be released uncut. It simply costs too much money to license all that music.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Was any music missing from the SCTV Network 90 sets? I clocked them all at around 64 and 65 minutes each, so they must be complete. :)

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Some of the music cuts are probably inevitable because of rights issues or artist objections (Neil Young, for one).

But the sadder truth is that the scuttlebutt is Shout Factory (who did such a good job on the SCTV Network 90 sets) is now preparing to release a "best of" collection of the first three seasons of SCTV, rather than individual season sets. This is already up for pre-order at some etailers for an October release, and will be a three disk set with a total of 15 episodes. And unfortunately, many of the episodes they are rumored to have been chosen for this "best-of' set will simply duplicate much of the material that was reprised in the early episodes of the Network 90 shows, so if you own those sets, you already have a good deal of what is going to be on this new set.

It's unfortunate that Shout decided to go in this direction for the next release, but I guess they were less than pleased with the lackluster sales of the last SCTV set.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
No sorry Jeff, there were several music cuts to the SCTV DVD sets. Most auspiciously, an entire "Stairway to Heaven" sequence from the Happy Wanderers special, that was cut out very awkwardly to say the least.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Was it the original Stairway to Heaven by Led Zepplin (one of the longest songs ever recorded) or Josh & Stan Schmenge playing their own version on their TV special? :)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael

Man, that comes as a real disappointment. For some reason I thought season 3 was going to be the next releases, but they're doing a Best Of instead? Schucks... I'll pass on that and hopefully they'll release the full seasons eventually, as well as the final season. I really enjoyed the sets that have been released so far - I can even live with the (IMO understandable but unfortunate) music cuts on those. I was looking forward to owning the complete series eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bromleygarden
Recent bookmarks