What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Not to mention F-Troop vs The French Chef ... "Bone Apehteet" ;)

I know that episode of French Chef! I don’t think I had ever seen a vintage TV Guide listing for it before - very cool that they printed the ingredients list. When I cook from Julia Child’s recipes I have the convenience of the pause and rewind buttons but obviously a 1966 audience didn’t have that.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
The amusing thing about Trek and "My Three Sons" airing opposite each other is that part of "City On The Edge Of Forever" (the Mission sets) was filmed on their soundstage since "Sons" had by then wrapped up production for the season.

That is amazing that you know that!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
William Shatner has been out promoting a new film. I wasn’t able to see the Jimmy Kimmel appearance, but it’s nice it’s on YouTube.

Since they keep describing it Crab Jesus was an attempted comedy bit it which an Anglo dud ewith long hair and wearing big foam crab hands came out as Crab Jesus. Toward the end of the bit he picked up a shopping bag full of fish. They turned out to be real dead fish and blood got on a female audience member's top and she was none to happy about it.

Silent Spring was a book that came out in 1962 about the pesticide DDT.

Alex...

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex Czaplicki

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I thought Cybermen were the future?
images.jpg

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Lots and lots of info on all the new projects in this Variety article.

Tidbits:
- SNW S3 coming in 2025
- Starfleet Academy is set in the 32nd Century
- It's possible for a sequel to Section 31 if the film does well
- Section 31 will feature a young Rachel Garrett
- They're looking at future TV movies, including a Picard follow-up

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sam, thanks for the link to the Variety article on the state of Star Trek Today. It was a good articke and I really liked the effort spent to create all the artwork to illustrate. They picked a lot of fun shots of the characters from the various shows. I’m glad TOS was so well represented. Though I didn’t care for the shot of the famous Kirk yelling “Khaaan!” Ha, ha!

I tried to avoid the Section 31 spoiler. But I did see it. Oh well, it wasn’t that bad a spoiler.

I think rhe article got it right that while I’m primarily a TOS person, I appreciate the other shows and I was there for the premiere of TNG, so it’s got a place in history for me. As well as the Berman era shows. So as a fan, I will watch all the new Star Trek shows from the Kurtzman era. It’s all good to bring in new fans.

I also found it interesting thst the powers that be knows Star Trek’s audience is not as mainstream as Star Wars and the Marvel franchises. It’s good they are realistic and won’t expect those kinds of numbers if they want that box office for a film. The problem is trying to shoehorn Star Wars elements into Star Trek to make them do big box office and that just goes against the grain of what makes Star Trek, Star Trek. It has to be Star Trek-y to be Star Trek. :biggrin:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, something that might be of interest to some of the Star Trek fans here, there’s an episode of Collectors Call that airs on MeTV that will feature a Star Trek fan who is a collector. He collects mostly prop replicas, communicators, tricorder, phaser and other things screen used. (Coffee carafe and chess pieces for example.) This aired about 2 years ago and is being repeated today. I just learned about it. If you’re on the west coast time zone, which is when I’m posting, it will air at 6:30pm on MeTV stations.

I do not know the collector, but I am a member of a prop builders forum that he is a member of. He had a thread about this show appearance. The thing that is impressive though is this fan had the idea to build a replica of Captain Kirk’s cabin in his basement, and it is an impressive recreation. He was involved in the early Star Trek fan films, so he had been in those recreated sets. He had such a fond time there, he wanted to build his own “fan cave”.

If you missed it, someone posted the episode on YouTube. It looks like a recording off the air as it has commercials too. Worth 30 minutes if this is of interest to you:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I know that episode of French Chef! I don’t think I had ever seen a vintage TV Guide listing for it before - very cool that they printed the ingredients list. When I cook from Julia Child’s recipes I have the convenience of the pause and rewind buttons but obviously a 1966 audience didn’t have that.
I ended up buying the Complete F-Troop DVD set from Wal*Mart for $16.96
1712078959531.png

1712078992795.png

On a totally unrelated note I was in Dollar Tree the other day and picked up a new Hot Wheels vehicle - similar to this ...
1712079265406.png
I just don't think I'm gonna put it through the SuperCharger
1712079447985.png
;) ...

Last edited:

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up The Center Seat on dvd. I knew Roddenberry Died in 1991. But I wasn’t aware he saw The undiscovered Country before he died

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I believe the changes made to remove several of the covert Starfleet Ops from the plot were made on his behalf. The Special Edition restored those for home video.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I picked up The Center Seat on dvd. I knew Roddenberry Died in 1991. But I wasn’t aware he saw The undiscovered Country before he died
Yeah, he screened it days before his death. He also gave comments on the script, which were generally negative. He honestly didn't like any of them after he was made a mere consultant.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I *think* these have been mentioned before... all 3 are currently "clearance priced" at Walmart (link to item on image):
Classic Phaser - $14.36

1712322749095.png

Communicator - $12.02
1712322793136.png

Enterprise - $23.01
1712322825744.png
All 3 are from Playmobile and are the "light and sound" version of the replicas/toys. I've read good things about all 3 so ordered a set.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks