What's new

Sci-Fi from Warner (1 Viewer)

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think my CRT RPTV has a 2% overscan, so films that are 1.66:1, 78 or 85 completely fill my screen.

Just watched "Moon Zero Two," by the way another perfect picture and the LMDB says the OAR is 1.85:1. Not sure if that's true. The top and bottom of the opening cartoon sequence is cut off (where the cartoon characters are running around the moon) including the beginning letters of names on the left side of the screen.

I wonder if this film was originally 2.35:1???

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

That's a bit strange. For what its worth, the opening credits of the new Warner Pete Kelly's Blues DVD have black bars on the sides creating a 2.35:1 ratio, even though the rest of the film is in the initial (no optical soundtrack) 2.55:1 CinemaScope format. My guess was that they used a 2.35:1 optical CinemaScope element to transfer the credits, but the negative or separations for the rest of the film.

But another explanation could be that they made a mistake, and did the same on the Moon Zero Two DVD.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
That's interesting news. All three titles were on the shelves when I stopped by yesterday afternoon here in Huntsville. Glad I grabbed them when I had the chance.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

I just stopped by Best Buy and they still had two copies on the shelf. While I agree that the potential for a "recall" is there, I highly doubt it has actually happened. Best Buy is pretty good about responding to those sorts of things.

Whatever the case may be, I wish you all the best of luck tracking down a copy at a reasonable price.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Good news-- I just got an e-mail confirmation that all three WB sci-fi 2-fers I ordered just shipped today!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
:emoji_thumbsup:

Wow, I guess my flying off the handle prematurely and whining like a big fat baby (plus the kind thoughts of well-wishers here, thanks) has paid off, in spades! :D

--not that I plan to make a habit of it.

Hopefully, my copy of PHASE IV is also waiting in the wings; we shall see...

David Com

Agent
Here's my "Worst Buy" story.

Pre-ordered the two "Sci-Fi Seventies" sets from the Best Buy on-line site and arranged for in store pickup. Stop by the store after work. No order waiting for me behind the counter. It takes two people twenty minutes of searching on the computer and through the store shelves to tell me that they never received stock on these items. However, their computer shows that another nearby store has plenty in stock. They put me on the phone with an on-line store rep who reserves them for me for pick-up the next day.

Wake up in the morning to an e-mail stating that this store no longer has the items in stock. I go on-line to check availability at any other stores (I have seven around here that are pretty accessible.) The computer shows that they are unavailable at all local stores.

Discouraged, I'm on my way to work and am passing one of the stores and decide to go in and check anyway. Lo and behold, there's a copy of "Battle Beneath The Earth/Ultimate Warrior" sitting front and center on the shelves. I grab it and decide to take an alternate route home that night and check two other stores on my way home .

First store I check has about eight copies of "Battle/Ultimate" on the shelves (even though they are listed as unavailable online) and about six copies of the Fifties Sci-Fi set that has "World Without End/Satellite In The Sky." Although I initially hadn't been interested in that set, I decided to grab it anyway. Feeling like I was getting close, I decided to check one more accessible Best Buy. Unfortunately, this was the one that had e-mailed me that morning saying they had nothing on any title in stock.

When I arrive, to my surprise (not really) I find about ten copies of "Battle/Ultimate" sitting on the shelves in the new release section! However, the last one I need, "Moon Zero Two/When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth," is nowhere to be found. I check the Sci-Fi section to see if they may have filed some there. Don't see it, but find three more copies of "Battle/Ultimate."

I leave the video section discouraged once again, only to happen upon a rolling cart loaded up with about to be shelved DVDs. And sitting face up on top is one copy of "Moon Zero Two/Dinosaurs"!

The whole experience reminded me of the old days before the internet made everything so "accessible." Back then, if you were looking for a rare book, record album, or CD, you would dredge through old bookstores and used record shops, sometimes for years, until you would find that one special thing you were looking for. And the sense of exhiliration you felt at finally capturing that prize was truly special.

So, in a strange way: thanks, Best Buy. You're one of the few companies out there today skilled in using modern technology to keep us all trapped in the past!

troy evans

Screenwriter
Absolutely Fantastic story. Thank you for sharing it. I'm sure everyone here has had a simular experience. At the heart of this forum I get the impression that all of us are collectors to some degree. As you have said the hunt can be rewarding and when you find what you're looking for it kinda makes you happy the whole day.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Somehow, I just don't think a recall is going to happen.

The SWAMP THING recall happened because a suburban mom rented the DVD from a Blockbuster and was shocked that the supposedly PG DVD contained nudity. It was a casual transaction. This title is a Best Buy exclusive so it is not available for rent (unless a mom & pop shop buys a copy at retail for their rental library). Since you have to buy it, I don't think it will be a casual blind buy. (after all, you've got to find a copy first, LOL).

I've looked at the DVD case and don't see any reference to a G rating (I'm not saying it's not there, I'm just saying I don't see it, so if it is there, it's not prominent). Furthermore, the copy on the back mentions that Victoria Vetri is a former Playboy Playmate.

Now that all of the rationalization is out of the way, I admit I sure as hell got my copy yesterday, no way I'm taking a chance.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I got my copy yesterday too. As a matter of fact, it was the only title of the 3 i could find at my local BB.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched Moon Zero Two Wednesday night and found it to be a very entertaining sci-fi flick. It's not a classic but if you like Space 1999 this film is a must. It's interesting to see Hammer's take on sci-fi with a little bit of Bond thrown in there.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
There are two points of connection with Space 1999. One in front of the camera and one behind the scenes. ;)

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan

On mine, there was a single G rating for both films listed at the bottom on the reverse. At least one of these Best Buy/Warner double features has films with different ratings on the same DVD, so both ratings are shown at bottom-reverse.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I am very entertained with the tales of finding the Warner Brothers Sci-Fi releases at Best Buy. I actually stopped shopping at Best Buy for DVD’s due to their lack of stocking some of the classic or older titles. Rarely do I venture in to the brick and mortar stores now days and have to be satisfied by ordering off the internet. However once in a while I have enter these haven’s of 1000 copies of the latest dung from the big screen and hunt for the elusive title that Best Buy will carry.

I consider myself very fortunate in that I walked into my local Best Buy last Tuesday and found several copies of each title in the New Releases area. This took me by surprise since I had to hunt high and low among the shelves for the three Universal Best Buy exclusives and for the Paramount/Legend titles. I did find what I was looking for eventually at the store. I was reminded of past times I would spend in Best Buy and Tower Records and Video hunting for surprise titles that I missed being announced.

I also had fun and luck a few years ago when Warner and Target had a couple of exclusives which I believe was the 3 Godfathers and Mogomba and I made the pilgrimage to Target to hunt and capture them. Both of those titles along with the Universal titles have been released now through regular channels.

Now it is just too easy to order on the internet and get it the day of the release or sometimes before.

I have found the six films enjoyable and glad I found them. I do suffer with our friends out of country that cannot get their hands on them without a lot of trouble. Just the opening titles of Moon Two Zero is worth the price. At least we have a small bit of fun to make up for the non Midnite Movies the MGM/Fox will not be releasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks