What's new

News on Three Warner Sci-Fi films (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the only 3D of that I would like to see is the title, but if Thing is coming wonder if WB would be willing to get the Carpenter commentary track and include it?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
When I saw Time after Time, forget Buck Rogers, forget Starbuck, etc... I wanted to be H.G. Wells!!! lol I was wondering where I could find those clothes and all... and Mary Steenburgen was my girl!

I'm happy with the dvd but a blu upgrade is a definite. I'd like the others too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
TCM screened Them! this afternoon. I only saw a glimpse of it, but it was the widescreen edition and might have been in HD. I was busy and couldn't stop to watch more closely.

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
According to IMDb: When Them! began production in the fall of 1953, it was originally conceived to be in 3-D and WarnerColor. During pre-production, tests were to be shot in color and 3-D. A few color tests were shot of the large-scale ant models, but when it was time to shoot the 3-D test, WB's "All Media" 3-D camera rig malfunctioned and no footage could be filmed. The next day, a memo was sent out that the color and 3-D aspects of the film were to be scrapped, and that black and white and wide-screen would be the preferred format, trying to emulate the "effective shock treatment" of Warners' The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Because of the preparation of certain shots, however, many of the camera set-ups for 3-D still remain, such as the opening titles and flame-throwers that are shot at the camera.

revgen

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dan
Matt Hough said:
TCM screened Them! this afternoon. I only saw a glimpse of it, but it was the widescreen edition and might have been in HD. I was busy and couldn't stop to watch more closely.

It was aired widescreen, but not HD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
marshman1138 said:
According to IMDb: When Them! began production in the fall of 1953, it was originally conceived to be in 3-D and WarnerColor. During pre-production, tests were to be shot in color and 3-D. A few color tests were shot of the large-scale ant models, but when it was time to shoot the 3-D test, WB's "All Media" 3-D camera rig malfunctioned and no footage could be filmed. The next day, a memo was sent out that the color and 3-D aspects of the film were to be scrapped, and that black and white and wide-screen would be the preferred format, trying to emulate the "effective shock treatment" of Warners' The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms. Because of the preparation of certain shots, however, many of the camera set-ups for 3-D still remain, such as the opening titles and flame-throwers that are shot at the camera.
I thought I read a long time ago that one of the reason for filming it in black and white was that the model ants looked too beautiful in color. They felt it would reduce the scare factor of the ants.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
And the winner is: Them! Release Date: October 6, $17.99 on Amazon. (Mine already pre-ordered.)

Now about The Thing (From Another World) and Time After Time . . . Still waiting on those to move from "very likely to follow" to actual release.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Well The Thing from another World is out in Japan now and just got my copy on blu ray from Amazon.jp. Disappointing transfer.soft and speckly etc and it is the shorter version. The German DVD is superior in my opinion.
Now Warners how about a blu ray release in the USA? I was led to understand this could be a possibility?
Please consider it for release but please issue from new elements and above all the COMPLETE 89 minute version....

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Well The Thing from another World is out in Japan now and just got my copy on blu ray from Amazon.jp. Disappointing transfer.soft and speckly etc and it is the shorter version. The German DVD is superior in my opinion.
Now Warners how about a blu ray release in the USA? I was led to understand this could be a possibility?
Please consider it for release but please issue from new elements and above all the COMPLETE 89 minute version....
Here's what WAC had to say a few months ago regarding a potential Blu release of The Thing (1951):

"We would like to. This film presents particular challenges (evident in the master used for DVD) as 35mm elements were cut for theatrical reissue, and we had to use sub-standard 16mm elements to create a complete version in the past. We are seeking 35mm elements of the original version for a Blu-ray upgrade, but the prospects are not encouraging at the present time. Thanks"

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
How about a hybrid Bluray?
Use the 35mm for the elements needed for the shorter version and use the 16mm elements for the portion that is currently lost.
Clean up the existing film as best as humanly possible and include both versions. The shorter version using all 35 and the longer version using the 16mm footage to fill the gaps.
Didn't they do that for King Kong?
They released an amalgam version many year before they found the lost elements.
I'd rather have an amalgam version now than a "perfect" years from now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks