What's new

Sally Field fans rejoice! (2 Viewers)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

I had the exact same problem. The only place I could find it was Best Buy for $39.95 The Weekly roundup here on HTF said Best Buy would be carrying it for $27.95 but as you say I guess that's just the on-line price.

I finally ended up ordering from Amazon. I guess local retailers just aren't interested in my money.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I bought it at Best buy but price matched to BJ' Wholesale club's price of $27.99 (but I got it at best buy to get the points in thier club I belong to)

Mary_P

Second Unit
Best Buy lost my sale too. Would've bought it Tuesday, but the only place I could find it in-store was at Best Buy for $39.99. I ordered it from Amazon instead.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
It said on the website you can purchase the stuff online and go to the store to pick it up; so I guess you get the discount price?? Can they possibly confuse us some more??

About 6 months ago, I went there and they had signs up for all kinds of good tv dvds on sale, usually about 25-30 percent off. Oh boy, did I help myself. I do recall specifically getting an All in the Family season and about 2 other shows. Well I got to the counter and all the sale prices did not come up in the computer. So I showed the guy the signs, which did indeed list the particular shows/seasons and lower price points, not to mention the current date at the bottom of the sign. He went to the manager; boy did she get pissed. Seems the signs were all some sort of mistake. Took them forever to sort it out while I just had to stand there. Then she begrudgingly gave me the "sale" price for those items, acted like she was doing me a favor, and also acted like it was all my fault somehow.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I've watched all but disc 4...... love this show!

However, I am sick and tired of getting an orange strip right down the middle of screen every few episodes. Anyone else getting this?

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator
I too am having the problem with the orange line, but I've only noticed it on two episodes so far. I'm on Disc 3. I've never seen any of these episodes and am absolutely loving the show. I wasn't willing to spring for a "blind buy" so I rented it from Netflix, fell instantly in love with it, and bought it online from Buy.Com for $25.97. I had an online coupon for 10% off.

I've rented and watched the first disc of the Flying Nun as well. I think it's cute, light hearted entertainment, but I'm having more of an "I like it" reacttion, rather than the "I LOVE it" reaction that I had with Gidget. I need to rent a few more of the discs to see if it has enough of a "re-watchability" factor for me to actually buy it.

I just HATE, HATE, HATE, that there aren't future seasons of Gidget for me to look forward to. I can't believe they cancelled this delightful show after only one season.

My consolation is that with That Girl, Doris Day S3, and Family Affair forthcoming, I do at least have more 60's sitcoms to look forward to.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

I agree. It's hard to believe Gidget only lasted 1 season, but The Flying Nun ran 3! Go figure. Hey, at least the one season of episodes are available now, and look fantastic.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

Gidget is just a much better show. If you listen to Sally's interview on the DVD she talks about how after they cancelled it, the show went top 10 during the rerun season when people discovered it. It had a tough time slot, airing opposite Beverly Hillbillies, a very highly rated show, and The Virginian. But even though the ratings improved, in those days once you were cancelled they didn't reverse it. But all I can say is that at least the show had a decent life in syndication and a star who's had a long, successful career, which has led to this great DVD release.

Other wonderful 1960s single season series, such as Occasional Wife, Love on a Rooftop, He and She, Accidental Family, Wendy and Me and Hank are not as fortunate and have little chance of seeing the light of day again. Except for brief runs on cable in the 80s for some of them, they've been buried far too long to make them viable properties, despite their quality.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I have to chime in on Gidget as well. I had never seen the show, and I am having a ball with it. The picture quality is amazing (I've encountered no orange lines), and it has got to be one of the best time capsules of 1960's fashion and home decor. There are actually many laugh out loud moments, and I am just frankly surprised at how much better it is than other 60's shows such as The Brady Bunch. I'm not disparaging that show as I have bought all of the season sets so far (mostly for camp value), but Gidget is just of a higher quality.

On another note, I was surprise to learn that Peter Duel (he plays Gidget's Brother in Law John) committed suicide just six years after this show was made.

I have been buried in the 60's lately. I have just finished Time Tunnel, and am now alternating between watching The Avengers, Gidget, and The Flying Nun.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I always noticed how well-preserved Gidget looked in syndication. It was run here in Los Angeles around the early 90s; looked brand-spankin' new. It and Gilligan's Island are examples of the way to preserve old shows. Somebody took good care of them.

Still haven't bothered to buy Nun or Gidget. I think I'll end up getting them on amazon because I can't figure out how to buy things at BeastBuy I guess.

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
The orange strip started in the middle of the episode where Gidget goes to a party with her brother in law. Then again on the episode where she falls in love with a photographer. I didn't see it again til the episode where gidget has a slumber party and then on the one where she joins a band.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I just noticed something very weird. I did an A/B on the episode Take a Lesson to see if I could find the missing footage since the DVD has the show running a minute short. I didn't find it as my off air copy is also cut but in the off-air copy that was remastered in the 80s, Paul Lynde's wife is wearing a blue coat. On the DVD her coat is green! Just thought that was funny and I wonder how many other of these color corrected shows put in different colors.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Thanks for that, Lucia. The stripe does not appear on my discs with those episodes. :confused: I hope Sony offeres replacement discs for those that have the lines.

Mary_P

Second Unit
I think the word "stripe" is misleading. What people are seeing is a scratch in the film. This looks to me like damage that happened in-camera at the time it was filmed -- it comes and goes with a specific shot. If you want to see an example, it shows up at 14:17 in the 2nd episode on disc one.

I'd be willing to bet that any other copy of this from a previous broadcast or film print would show the same scratch. "Murphy Brown" has the same problem towards the end of the pilot episode.

Otherwise, these episodes look stunning. I love TV on DVD....

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Well, it is an actually orange stripe in the scenes. Now whether or not it's a scratch I don't know, but it's long and thick and stripey!

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
One subtlety that I like about the new DVD's is that it seemed in recent cable and the EP VHS releases (which were sometiems cut). It looked to me that the opening still credits were rebuilt on video instead of allowing the film to run (for smoother, cleaner opening credits, they only have to fix up that one freeze frame).

For the DVD it looks like the opening credits are actually film (with a fleck here and there). But for me it's infinataly preferable to the artificially rebuilt credits.

I did notice the orange stripe on that one episode. It's a film scratch and passes quickly.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Just got my "Flying Nun" from Amazon today. Has anybody else checked out the Sally Field interview on disc 4? Holy Cow! First of all, bravo to Sony for having the guts to let her rip on the show for 18 minutes! It turns out she never really wanted to do the show and was miserable the whole time. She was not treated with respect and didn't even have a stunt double. And furthermore, she felt humiliated and that she was the laughing stock of the nation.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Yes, I saw that interview, too. It kinda makes me feel guilty enjoying the show and getting pleasure out of it after she said how miserable she was. At least she seems to have put the show in perspective and realizes she was young and going through an identity crisis. After watching her interview, I finally realized why when she won the Oscar award years later, she said in her acceptance speech, "You LIKE me, you REALLY, REALLY LIKE me!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks