What's new

SACD Problems (1 Viewer)

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
I just picked up my first SACD (Michael Jackson's Thriller) and I have an interesting problem. My player (Denon 2200) and Reciever (Denon 2803) work perfectly well for DVD-Audio with the analog hookups & "Ext. In". I popped my new SACD in last night and got... nothing. Well, not nothing, I get the LFE (or whatever ends up sent to my Sub) but the rest of the channels are completely silent.

Any ideas? I'm sure its something simple, but I haven't been able to stumble upon it yet...

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I know the Denon 2200 is popular among our members, but I'm not familiar with it. Is the unit a universal player? That is, can it play SACDs? If not, then there's your problem. JB

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
It definitely plays SACD. Dave, have you ever listened to an SACD yet on the 2200? Sometimes in my experience there has been an option for SACD that needs to be turned on in the Menu. Like Jack, I don't own a 2200 but thats all I can think of with the exception of its broken.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
It should play SACDs... It has the logo on the player (and the remote, for that matter). I'll keep searching, but I haven't been able to find anything thus far... I would be less confused (though no less frustrated) if no sound was coming through the speakers, but the LFE "action" is really strange.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
The 2200 is a universal, so it should play SACDs, that much is for sure.

The MJ disc is a 2 CH SACD. You are using the 5.1 outs of the 2200, right? Perhaps there is an issue with 2 CH SACD media via the 5.1 outs?

Maybe try it with the normal stereo outs (assuming it has them)?

There may be menu setting in the player to select either the redbook layer, 2 CH SACD layer, or MC SACD layer of an SACD disc. All else being equal, a double check of that would be in order.

I will echo Dave's comment; this is a weird one. I have followed many uni-player threads going back over 18 months, and helped put togther a FAQ on the subject:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...2#post1800722.

This one is a first for me!

BGL

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
UPDATE

I spent almost an hour last night playing with settings, connection, etc and found the problem. As usual, the answer was far more simple (and embarassing... :b) than I had expected. At some point, my reciever had switched to the "B Speakers", unbeknownst to me. I was getting the LFE because the receiver only re-routes the L & R channels to "B". I finally broke down and threw a DVD-A back in, and it was having the same problems, which made it pretty clear to me that I had a bad setting somewhere. I don't know how it got into "B"...

Thanks for the help.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Don't feel too bad. Things like that happen to all of us sooner or later. Main thing is everything works now and you can enjoy the music.

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
The real culprit here is my reciever's memory. It defaults to different setting for each type of input. I like this in some ways, but its a pain in the butt most of the times. For instance, when watching TV, the reciever had the right speakers on, but when switching to DVD (w/ EXT. IN) it went to Speaker "B"...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks