What's new

Russell Crowe objects to Joan Collins (1 Viewer)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Malcolm, I regularly watch ET, and I've seen absolutely none of what you describe. I think you're reaching.

They MAY hurt future business opportunities (just ask Bill Murray about Charlie's Angels 2) and they seem to tell us that he's a guy best avoided by others.
Maybe Seth, but then again Murray doesn't have half the talent that Crowe does. He's a great comedic actor, but not a great actor. I doubt he'll be on the street corner looking for work, so to speak. He'll get his roles. Jack Nicholson has been a butthole at times, and he didn't have trouble getting work. Sean Penn is a notorious buttwipe, and he doesn't have any troubles. If you don't have tons of talent and you do that, then you lose out on work.

He probably lost the Academy Award with that behavior. As I said before, it's a lock that Denzel will win for Best Actor. Crowe now has no chance, whereas before he was the frontrunner.

Richard_D_Ramirez

Second Unit
The more I read and hear about this doofus' off-screen antics the less I want to watch his films, which is unfortunate, because he was in some excellent films. He's just gonna keep reminding myself what an ass he is while watching his films, and I'll have my film engrossment ruined. :frowning:
8^B

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I remember watching L.A. Confidential for the first time on the big screen when it came out, and thinking... "This guy is gonna be a GOD!" And in many ways he is. It's a shame though that with his rise to fame and fortune, that he couldn't keep his feet on the ground.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
If he hates all the celebrity bullshit, all he has to do is keep out of the public eye, like Woody Allen, Harrison Ford or Al Pacino. But if he wants to go on T.V and attend award shows, and do interviews then he has to face the music and stop complaining & making an ass out of himself.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Terrell,

Murray doesn't have half the talent that Crowe does...
I cannot believe you said that about Bill Murray. Ask any honest actor...they'll admit comedy is much harder than drama. Look how many comedians became serious actors! Look how many serious actors became comedians...almost none. De Niro plays the straight man is his comedies.

Bill Murray is a Hollywood legend. Russell Crowe has a long road ahead of him to reach the public consciousness like Bill Murray. Russell, whose work I like, has been in NO film that will last as long as Ghostbusters or Stripes.

Just my opinion,

Chuck

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
Murray doesn't have half the talent that Crowe does. He's a great comedic actor, but not a great actor.
Terrell, with all due respect, go off and watch Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day and Rushmore. Return to the HTF. And eat your words. :D

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
I know, I know - this sounds like a tabloid subject.
Well, it is! :) And on occasion, I get a kick out of reading some of the tabloids. But this one has me intrigued, because I DO like to watch the Oscars and I DO think Crowe is one of the best actors of HIS generation (note my use of "his" in caps).
From what I have read on the internet (and not just from "tabloid journalists"), the fight Russell Crowe recently had at BAFTA (which, I believe, is the British equivalent of America's Academy Awards) over the deletion of Crowe's poem he read after accepting the night's best actor award, has really caused a buzz in Hollywood. So much so, that the odds are actually changing in some "betting parlors" that Crowe may be losing clout with the voters because of the incident.
I mention this because (1) I am interested to see if any of you think this might factor in to someone's vote (it would not to me - the vote is for best actor, not best citizen), and (2) Crowe has apparently recently admitted to (and apologized for) the incident, so there is truth to the matter.
Brando's attitude of sending up a "fake American Indian" to accept his award for The Godfather is one thing.
George C. Scott's attitude of outright refusing the award is one thing (although, from what I can tell, is the first and only time in Oscar history that ever happened).
But physically battering an awards producer/director (I am not sure which) because one's poem recitation went over the time limit and was therefore cut, is quite another.
The gist of my post: Do you think Crowe will ultimately end up losing the Oscar because of the fight?
Regards,
Sam

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
Could somebody please explain the Brando and Scott incidents in more detail for me? Why did Scott refuse to accept his award?

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: I think the tabloid blew this one out of proportion. He didn't batter the guy. If he had he'd be in prison. He put his finger in his face and gave him an earful.
As for costing himself the Oscar, there is no doubt whatsoever that he has cost himself the Best Actor Award. He has no chance now. It might as well be me in the running.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
Crowe is an arrogant moron to say the least. I liked him at first, but the more i hear of him, or see of him for that matter, the less i think of him. Just seems like a cocky bastard. "Look at me, I"M Russell Crowe,I just stole Quaids wife Meg Ryan, God I'm a big pimp daddy. What woman wouldn't want the GLADIATOR. DA, I am the GLADIATOR, hear me roar." Whatever dude.

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
Terrell:

By all accounts I have read, Crowe actually physically "roughed up" the individual (I used the term "battery" in a legal, criminal sense: the illegal touching of a human being with the intent of causing harm). Doing so does not automatically mean ones ends up in jail - if the law is the same in England as it is in Louisiana, one would have to press charges against the person committing the battery to result in an arrest. District Attorneys usually do not bother prosecuting such crimes if the victims refuse to pursue the matter themselves. An example of the difficulty of proving battery when the victim refuses to participate on behalf of the prosecution was the case of Warren Moon, the famous NFL quarterback. By all accounts, he physically beat his wife on at least one occasion, and I believe she called the police. But by the time trial arrived, they had reconciled and she refused to testify on behalf of the prosecution. In many states, a court cannot compel a spouse to testify against another spouse. Despite her refusal to participate, the prosecution decided to press forward, thinking they could prove their case without her testimony. Of course, the prosecution lost.

Andrew:

At the time that Brando won the Best Actor Oscar for The Godfather, he was very involved with the American Indian movement. As a means to "protest" the way American Indians were treated in the movies (and I think, in life in general), he sent a woman in his place to accept the award. Supposedly, her name was "Satcheen Littlefeather", and she appeared at the awards show dressed in 1800s' style American Indian garb. Later, it was discovered that Brando had duped everyone (or he was duped - it is not clear which) because Satcheen Littlefeather was nothing more than an unknown Mexican actress.

George C. Scott, for whatever reason, supposedly did not think his performance was good in the movie "Patton". In addition, I do not think he was a fan of awarding actors for their performances, in general. So, he became the first, and I believe the only, person in motion picture history to actually refuse to accept an Oscar. Given the fact that he refused the award, I have often wondered what became of it. I assume it sits in the Academy's museum (if they have one).

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well Sam, I haven't read those accounts. I think the ones you read were wrong. From what I've read he had him against the wall with a finger in his chest yelling at him. Unbecoming bevhior for sure, but hardly roughed up or fight as you call it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
he had him against the wall with a finger in his chest yelling at him.
Actual contact and using language some might find threatening....yep, that's about all it takes if someone wanted to press a case. You lay a finger, just a finger, on anyone against their will and that can be considered "illegal contact." Add in verbal abuse and threats and it just strengthens the case.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Maybe, but again, that's hardly a fight or roughing someone up. The guy doesn't have a bruise on him. I'm not arguing his conduct was unbecoming or uncalled for, just aruing semantics. Sam made it sound like the guy was bloodied and bruised.

In this day and age, you can sue somebody for sneezing. We have a sue happy world.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I would have put Crowe on the floor if I had been that guy. Let his goons beat me up after, but he still would have had a broken nose. What a jerk. :angry:

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Oh wait, I'd have to take out our Resident HTF Russell Crowe Apologist Terrell before I could near His Royal Highness, right? :p) Just kidding, buddy. ;)

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Well, it was a joke! So yes and no. I've been called worse Ryan.:) :D But I haven't defended his actions at all. All I've said is I don't care. I don't know him. Just igve me my 8 bucks worth at the theater.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks