What's new

Running comp. video through A/V receiver? (1 Viewer)

Deadhorse

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
I've been thinking lately that maybe running my 360 and DVD into my A/V receiver and then to the TV via component video may not be the best way. I have two comp. video inputs on the TV so why not run them directly instead of to the A/V R. and then to the TV via a different, possibly lower quality comp. cable?

What are your thoughts?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Running video through the receiver usually makes things simpler to operate. (the receiver switches audio and video with 1 remote).

But

- Are you pumping standard def video or HD video?
- Does your receiver have a component video bandwidth of 90 Mhz or more?

SD video needs the cables/receiver to support a bandwidth of 12 Mhz. Progressive (480p) needs 35 Mhz and 720/1080 video needs 90 Mhz.

You are fine running HD video through your receiver if the manual says it is capable of handling HD video or has ~90 Mhz bandwidth on the component jacks.

But running video straight to the TV is 1 less component cable you have to buy and less possible breaks in the connection. So it's a bit simpler. But then you have to use 2 remotes to toggle between things or have a good activity-based remote like a Harmony Logitech.

I've done both.

CABLES: If you are using SD video, I like the Radio Shack MegaCable cables or AR Pro cables.

For about $10 more, you can get real HD compatible video cables from www.bluejeanscables.com.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks