What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Room (2015) (1 Viewer)

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Didn't see a thread for this film, but highly recommend people check this out. My review

The plot of this remarkable film suggests it has been ripped from recent headlines, detailing a young woman's captivity in a shed. This all suggests a deeply unpleasant experience, but the filmmakers make a crucial choice to tell the story from the point of view of the woman's 5 year old son who knows no other world other than the room they are held in. Essentially a two-hander for much of the film between mother and son, it is deeply moving and uplifting despite the nature of the plot, as film portrays their daily existence, the young boy's attempts to make sense of the world around him and his mother's efforts to protect him. Both actors give remarkable performances, with Larson fully deserving the critical praise being thrown her way, yet the film is equally dependent on a wonderfully natural performance from the young Jacob Tremblay. Never exploitative, the film can be quite unsettling and tense at times, but as the story gives way to the aftermath, the focus on the bond between parent and child throughout make for a film that is powerfully affecting.

5 stars out of 5 for me

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I liked the performances of the mother (Brie Larson) and son (Jacob Tremblay) in the film, but I think I needed just a few more details to be fleshed out in the third act. The concept is harrowing, young woman is captive in a small room, bears a child, and that child only knows life while being captive inside that room for 5 years, and having to fully depend on the captor for the bare necessities, and a mother who normalizes the confining experience as best she can given the situation. It's like being born guilty of a crime that requires incarceration in a small room with little hope for parole.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Saw Room today and thought it was great. Terrific performances from Larson and Tremblay. A unique powerful film with one of the most harrowing sequences I have ever seen. Don't let the subject matter deter you from seeing it. Not as dark as it appears. One of the years best and a worthy BP nominee.

⭐⭐⭐️1/2 out of ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Spoilers Ahead

I wonder how Joy avoided getting pregnant again spending seven years in that room. Maybe she asked Old Nick for birth control as a Sunday treat.

The more I think about this haunting film the more I admire it. It sure stays with you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll buy the Blu-ray, but I'm not going to a movie theater to watch this film eating popcorn.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Don't eat popcorn then.[emoji38]

Seriously tho Robert I think you may regret not seeing this in a theater. Seeing it with other moviegoers and hearing their emotional reactions added much to the film. In my opinion of course. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tino said:
Don't eat popcorn then.[emoji38]
Seriously tho Robert I think you may regret not seeing this in a theater. Seeing it with other moviegoers and hearing their emotional reactions added much to the film. In my opinion of course. I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Its not my cup of tea as far as seeing it in a movie theater. The same thing with 12 Years a Slave and Schindler's List.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thought this movie was fantastic! While Brie Larson was excellent, I was just mesmerized by Jacob Tremblay's performance. Shame he did not get an Oscar nom.

And this is not a phrase I ever use, but what most comes to mind about this film -- "life-affirming".

For me, certainly a film I could see again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks