What's new

Ron-P and other beer lovers: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (2 Viewers)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
I am a beer lover and I have to say that I keep coming back to Sierra Nevada. It just does not get any better for me.

Lately, I have been on a Red Hook ESB kick, but I will never turn down a S.N. Pale Ale.

Sorry for you outlanders, but this week a 12 pack of Sierra Nevada was $10.99 at Safeway (here in No. Cal).

FWIW, other beers I like: Anderson Valley Boont Amber Ale, Newcastle Brown, Fat Tire Ale, Sam Adams (not the lager), used to drink a lot of Pete's Wicked, not so much anymore, SLO Brewery Ales, and St. Stans Whistle Stop Ale or Amber.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Update:

I picked up a case last night, and, presently, there are four six-packs in the fridge getting the slow chill. They will be ready and waiting for me this evening. So, it was one last night of watery, metalic-tasting Tecate while those colorful bottles of the new stuff waited.

Really looking forward to this.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Jack, going from Tecate to Sierra Nevada is the equivalant of trading in your Yugo for a 740iL. Be prepared for some shock. An added tip, unlike a Tecate which should be served ice-cold, after you pour your SNPA, let it breath in the glass for a few minutes. This will truly open it up...
I am looking forward to your thoughts on this ale, for there are many others in the genre that deserve your equal attention.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Lately, I have been on a Red Hook ESB kick
I love Red Hook ESB. It's one of my favorites.

Another great micro is Troeg's from Harrisburg, PA. They make a fantastic Nut Brown Ale that I love. Tough to find even in Centreville, I suppose that very few here will have heard of it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
After a few ...

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale declares war on the European approach, combining its fruity taste and interesting hops/malt balance with an oddly Old World full-bodiness.

You are all excellent beer critics.

After four samples, my senses are conditioned yet still not used to this interesting mix of beer extremes. The taste is sweet, but not overpowering or overwhelming. The aftertaste, though, is notably bitter (though not foul in the way Dos Equis can be with its domineering aftertaste). Sierra Nevada Pale Ale works best, then, at lukewarm temperatures.

Aftertaste, though, is an issue: Upon a number of samples, however, it has grown on the tastebuds.

And the beer is deceptively full because of the fruity taste.

Most interesting.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The aftertaste of a hoppy beer like Sierra Nevada is a complex experience that definitely takes some time and experience to truly appreciate. "Tuppers Hop Pocket", a local favorite of mine, offers an extreme (and extremely delicious) example of this phenomena.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Yes. But, as I said, it takes some getting used to. Unlike, for example, when I first tried Pacifico years ago (and Sapporo before that), which had me thumbs-up with no reservations. It's the bitterness of the aftertaste. After four beers, though, it was less attention-grabbing.

Very interesting brew.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Your entering the world of ales as oppossed to the lager/pilseners styles you mentioned and (liking out of the gate).
Ale yeast opens many new aromas and tastes (flowers, apple, citrus etc.) Not only that, you've also climbed the IBU(International Bitterness Units) ladder by about 15-20 units. This can be shocking and not everyone is a hophead. There are many more balanced styles of ale that may be even more to your liking. Maybe an English Pale (like Fuller's London Pride, which is not as sharp and punchy on the hops, like the American interpretations). I think you would also enjoy a

Fuller's 1845 (an English Ale) or
Hobgoblin (an English Brown)

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
What are all the initials with microbrews? IPA, ESB... I think I've seen others, no? Is there a beer dictionary?

EDIT: OK, I found IPA (India Pale Ale (but why India)) and ESB (Extra Special Bitter) in a general acronym finder, but are there other common beer acronyms I should be aware of?

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
IPAs have more hops which help them stay fresh longer... which was crucial to supply British occupied India with some quality brew, some years ago.

I love IPAs. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks