What's new

Roman Polanski's "Tess" (1 Viewer)

Mike Kinsella

Auditioning
To the Powers That Be at Sony/Columbia/Tristar,
Are there any plans to release Roman Polanski's "Tess" (1979) based on the Thomas Hardy novel? I have been waiting for a widescreen video version of this film for around 12 years since I bought my first laserdisc player. I still own a vintage pan-and-scan laserdisc version of the film, but it is not even close to what I remember in the theater.
Polanski's film beautifully captures the feel of Hardy's classic story set in England's West Country, and Geoffrey Unsworth's haunting cinematography is like a romantic dream of times long past. It is a fitting final entry in his amazing career (Sadly, he passed away during the filming of "Tess", which was finished by Ghislain Cloquet.).
In any case, it is a glaring omission in Columbia's DVD lineup, and a film that should be rediscovered.
------------------

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
Yes, Mike! We need more Roman Polanski films (note the title below my signature).
biggrin.gif

I would easily support a nice release of this great film. Like all Polanski films, there always seem to be beautiful women and this is no exception - Nastassja Kinski.
yum.gif

------------------
The Dark Tower
jamaris1.jpg

Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Good idea. Haven't thought of this one for a while.
I'd buy one, though. (As well as most of Mr. Polanski's films.)
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Universal has grown slower than Paramount in releasing their catalog titles (with the exception of the monster movies). TESS is begging for special edition treatment. It is available overseas, but not here.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Will be bought by this guy the minute it is announced!
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on November 03, 2001 at 11:27 AM]

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I already have TESS on dvd in its 2.35 widescreen aspect ratio :)
Gotta love those APEX A-600 region free players
biggrin.gif

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I would also love to see this on DVD, along with "Macbeth" which is also a Columbia title.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Brian - does your APEX 600A actually play the movie in 2.35:1, or is it squeezed down to about 1.85:1? I've had a problem with my unit on ELEPHANT MAN and on several 1.85:1 films, which wind up as about 1.50:1.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Brian - does your APEX 600A actually play the movie in 2.35:1, or is it squeezed down to about 1.85:1? I've had a problem with my unit on ELEPHANT MAN and on several 1.85:1 films, which wind up as about 1.50:1.
I presume that you are referring to DVDs requiring PAL to NTSC conversion -- for those get a multi-standard TV or a Malata DVD player.
Tess however is a R2 Japan DVD, therefore NTSC, so it should play fine even on your APEX...
Ted

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I'm reviving this thread. Columbia-TriSTar, with Polanski's recent Oscar win, the time is ripe to release "Tess" on DVD. Please, please, please!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks