What's new
World Wide Stereo

Rogers 'n me (1 Viewer)

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I hope the tale of my last 24hrs trying to get the Scientific Atlanta 8300 to work with my Sony kf50we620 helps someone else in a similar situation later. It seems I've finally got it working.

My new Sony LCD RP has a DVI input only, the new Rogers HD PVR has HDMI out only.

I bought an HDMI to DVI adapter to add to the DVI cable. It didn't work, I got lots of green video noise. After lots of my frustration and troubleshooting with no help from Rogers support (who wash their hands of the issue as soon as they hear "adapter", can't say I blame them). I cannot express with words how many things I tried...ARGH! It made no sense... my adapter/cable worked connecting a DVD player to my TV, the HDMI out on the 8300 worked great on another TV w/ an HDMI input.

Finally a guy at Steve's TV (in kitchener who sold me the set) suggested trying an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI adapter on the TV end, exact opposite of what I had been doing (I had a DVI cable with an HDMI/DVI adapter on the 8300). Worked like a charm. I am having difficulty wrapping my head around WHY this worked.

I hope that helps anyone who has a DVI input only on their TV and want to use the HDMI output on a device. If you can't get video try swithing the roles around of your cable/adapter, you might just run into some luck.

728x90

SimiA

Second Unit
Ahhhh, a story with a happy ending. I feel all warm a fuzzy.
Glad it worked out for you, and thanks for the tip. I'm storing it on my hard drive for future reference.
Cheers, Vb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jw_Malibu
Recent bookmarks