Rockford's Firebird

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by maskedmala, Nov 12, 2013.

1. maskedmala

maskedmala Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    I've only discovered Rockford Files this year and I've got to confess that it's one of my favorite TV shows. Since I was an owner of a Firbird 1980 in my youth, I'm always excited to see that 180 turnaround move done by Rockford in his Firebird but one thing really bugs me is that in season 4 and 5 you'll see the Firebird 1977-79 (the regular vehicle for the last three seasons) but you'll also see, not often but about, maybe, 5 of 6 times the Firebird 1974-76 (the regular vehicle of the first 3 seasons). Well somebody working in the edit didn't do his work and took scenes from the first three seasons and put them in the last 3 seasons. I guess nobody's perfect!

Ron1973 likes this.
  2. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Ahh. His signature J-turn that even today, almost 40 years later is still called a "Rockford". It was a great show. I watched it all on DVD a few years ago and need to give it another run after I start and finish Magnum PI.

Good catch on the car changes, I never noticed.

3. maskedmala

maskedmala Stunt Coordinator

Maurice
    Adam, it's strange but I was about to start watching Magnum PI after completing Rockford Files.

Adam Gregorich likes this.
  4. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    If you find that interesting, there is an episode in either the first or second season where they used the repeat version. And it was either a two-parter converted to a two-hour episode or vice-versa. Nothing was cut, but they needed to pad out the episode for the new runtime.So, they 'extended' a chase scene by adding in additional edits of the Firebird. But they took footage from a later season. So the car kept changing from two to four headlights - in the middle of the same chase!

5. bretmaverick2

bretmaverick2 Supporting Actor

Tom Hunter
    Rockford related but off the car topic

Did the second set of post series made for TV movies ever get released??

6. David Weicker

David Weicker Cinematographer

David
    Sadly, no.It's only been four years. What's your hurry? :(