What's new

Robin Hood, Sierra Madre, Yankee Doodle Dandy - 2 Disc Specs (1 Viewer)

TonyDale

Second Unit
Glad to see WB reviving the "Night At The Movies" line they once had on VHS. Don't believe that? Go in a mom-and-pop video store that's been operating since the early 80s and you'll find it.
Aha! So, I was merely dreaming these!
At the moment, I can only recall DIAL 'M' FOR MURDER and Josh Logan's FANNY as part of these "Nights. . .," anyone else remember any others.

Quick note for those who have never seen Flynn's ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD: this is one of those rarities where everything fits together perfectly; casting, music, direction, art direction, sets and swordplay. A sumptuous feast indeed.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Am I right in thinking that The Adventures of Robin Hood had multi-channel audio when it was released? (Perhaps it was done subsequently?)

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Am I right in thinking that The Adventures of Robin Hood had multi-channel audio when it was released? (Perhaps it was done subsequently?)
I don't think it had a multi-channel release in 1939 (or later), but the original music tracks were recently found and restored. Maybe you're thinking of that?

Kajs

Second Unit
Real Name
Kurt
This is yet another reason why I voted WB as the best DVD studio...but I'm sure by the end of the year New Line will win for just making LOTR.

Jeremy Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! I wasn't expecting a 2 disc special edition for Treasure of the Sierra Madre (my favorite movie of all time!!!)! Thanks Warner, you've definately got 3 sales here. Can't wait to see all of them in the 'night at the movies' format.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Would Robin Hood be a good blind buy? By the way, who played this version of Robin Hood? Is it Errol Flynn? Or I'm I just getting him mixed up with his pirate roles? :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

I planned on purchasing these three already, but the sheer amount and quality of these sets make them sound great.

Some have said LDI worked on these, but I don't see why. If WB did full film restorations on the films, why do more in the digital realm? Robin Hood WOULD benifit since Tech is meant to look smooth...but Sierra Madre and YDD don't need the work. YDD especially...don't want any of that James Wong Howe cinematography too cleaned.

I've been more than satisfied with LDI's work (ok, so they cleared up the weather in Kane :D ), but I find it excessive if their efforts are used on elements that don't really need the work. They should use LDI's efforts on something like The Unknown, which has only one original 35mm print source.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Excellent news from Warner, no question about that. Have to pre-order right away.

We should all send our thanks to Warners for such a loving treatment of these classics.
No need to send mail. We can vote for them in the most effective way...
Gift set, eh?

Cees

Frederic_A

Stunt Coordinator
Cees, just out of curiosity, don't you get scan-lines on your TV when viewing NTSC discs? That's pretty much the only reason I prefer PAL R2 for 4:3 movies. Despite PAL speedup and, ironically, often a higher price...

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I'm so anxious to get my hands on these discs that I'm currently rearranging my shelf and leaving empty slots for them.

Way to go WB, you are definitely my favorite DVD studio - Bar None!!

:emoji_thumbsup: ;) ;) :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks