What's new

Retirement this summer, any suggestions to relocate for my Golden Years? (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Scott Merryfield said:
Ah, a technicality. So, did that first day feel any different than the previous couple of months, just knowing it was now official?
Yeah, it did, I felt like my divorce was final.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RolandL said:
Was it is 3D? Some people have complained the 3D in The Walk made them nauseous.
Yes, it was 3-D at a real IMAX theater. It's a fine film and today I viewed a even better film in The Martian. This time there were maybe 8 people in the theater and all of them appear to be of retirement age.:)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Robert Crawford said:
Today, I'm officially a member of the retiree ranks. :dance:

Welcome to the joint, Robert!

I have not been able to help you choosing a place to spend next years. But I can tell you, about spending your day, you will soon start to wonder how you did it all in the past with that daily work to it.

Robert Browning's Ben Ezra is much too long to be quoted here (and probably not wholly fit for the forum), but the start is great:

Grow old along with me!
The best is yet to be,
The last of life, for which the first was made...

It's very fitting you spent the first day of your retirement period with a movie! And rather typical that you were in that cinema all alone. :)

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I'm crossing out the coastal Carolina areas as possible retirement relocations. Flooding, hurricanes and tornadoes I rather not deal with.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Robert Crawford said:
Well, I'm crossing out the coastal Carolina areas as possible retirement relocations. Flooding, hurricanes and tornadoes I rather not deal with.

We have owned a condo in North Myrtle Beach for at least 15 years, and this is only the second time anything significant has hit the area. I think it was Charley in 2004 that damaged one of the tower units right on the ocean, but our building was fine. This year's storm also saw no damage to our complex -- just some street flooding in the general area.

We are headed down there next month for a visit. Hopefully things will be back to normal by then.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Congratulations, Robert!

What an accomplishment! Well-earned, I'm sure.

Here's to many days of enjoyment to the newest man of leisure.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have a time share in Ormond Beach(Daytona area) and it has never had issues. I was down there at the end of a storm once. We got there, wholed up for 36 hours(she was fresh back from 14 months in a war zone...so not like we were going outside much anyway) waiting on Tropical Storm whatever it was(Hurricane we would have found elsewhere) to blow over.

It was great. No real damage, everything was open next day. Back to normal in 2. No tourists. Went skinny dipping in the Atlantic.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Robert Crawford said:
There are few places in the US where there's no likelihood of some kind of natural disaster. Here's an insurance company map showing such disaster distributions. The legend is at the following link as it's not part of the main graphic.

http://www.inscenter.com/info-center/disaster-planning/risk-profile

natural-disaster-map.v1268605558.gif

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
Robert -- do you have a new top 5 or 10 yet.
I'm not that far behind you and find these kind of thing somewhat less theoretical than I used to.

Just looked at the insurance map and find I'm currently in teh tornado/earthquake/hurricane overlap though the latter would have been
unthinkable until 1989. I lived in mid Florida for 3-4 years and never even saw a Trop Storn, but moved 200 miles inland 1 month before Hugo ran right across my flank.
Luckily I was about 20 miles from the hurricane force winds and it moved so fast the rain was never really an issue.
I think I've felt 3 earthquakes in 25 years here though I think high 4 or low 5 was the biggest one and it was centered a long way from us(the one that damaged the WAsh Monument a few years back).

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
Hi Robert,

Ever thought of Australia; especially the South coast of Queensland.

Great climate, beautiful one day, perfect the next. Really friendly people.

Manageable cost of living. Plenty of space. Spectacular beaches. Wide-open spaces.

Real Estate affordable. Beautiful modern cities, with great shopping and entertainment precincts.

I've seen most of the World, and had wonderful experiences, but am always happy to return home.

What a great place Brisbane is !

Robert, give it some thought. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Cheers, Warren Thomson. (Retired)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dennis Nicholls said:
Well there's always North Dakota, although one of their winters may qualify as a "natural disaster".
Right now, Michigan is looking better after day. :) I can always go away for a few weeks each winter and still enjoy the pleasant summer months of Mid-Michigan without any flooding, hurricanes or tornadoes. Sure, an occasional winter storm, but the East Coast has been getting a lot more snow than here in Mid-Michigan.

Anyhow, I will continue my research over the next several months and plan on visiting some possible relocation options next Spring.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Well I suppose if you want to experience a North Dakota winter you could just drive over the Mackinac bridge to the Upper Peninsula....

Warren, I thought that Australia had a very strict immigration policy with low numeric quotas. A friend from college was permitted to settle in South Australia only because she had certain medical credentials.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Robert Crawford said:
Right now, Michigan is looking better after day. :) I can always go away for a few weeks each winter and still enjoy the pleasant summer months of Mid-Michigan without any flooding, hurricanes or tornadoes. Sure, an occasional winter storm, but the East Coast has been getting a lot more snow than here in Mid-Michigan.

Do I sense a snowbird in the making? :) Actually, now that I think about it, a reasonable condo can be had in decent gated 55+ communities for peanuts (like, under $40K).

I forget whether it was discussed, but do you have family concentrated anywhere?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Aaron Silverman said:
Considering the cost of living around there, that's no surprise.
Right, I would like to live there if it wasn't for the cost of living. IMO, San Francisco is the most beautiful large city in America.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Anyhow, I will continue my research over the next several months and plan on visiting some possible relocation options next Spring.

Robert, have you done additional research this year? Were you able to visit any options? It would also be interesting to note what you have discarded since originally starting this thread.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.