What's new

Retirement this summer, any suggestions to relocate for my Golden Years? (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, have you done additional research this year? Were you able to visit any options? It would also be interesting to note what you have discarded since originally starting this thread.

Inquiring minds want to know. :)
At this time, hot and humid is less desirable than cold and snowy winters. Therefore, I'm not really looking at going too far south. I'll be taking a couple of trips between now and September including a trip out to Boise, ID. To clarify, I don't mind hot, but combined that with humidity is something I simply hate dealing with.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Today, I met somebody that lived in Boise and is now back in Michigan. She told me I'll love the weather there and how beautiful the area is so I can't wait to see the area for myself.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Dennis once sent me a tape of the area.
B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l.

BTW, are you in contact with Dennis?

Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Who?

9156689124_28bf599628_c.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That photo shows the tiny town of Stanley with the Sawtooth mountains in the background and the Salmon River in the foreground. It's about a 2 hour drive by Miata (or 3 hour drive by RV) up in the Rockies behind Boise. Boise is literally at the foot of the Rockies on the western side, similar to Denver being at the foot of the Rockies on the eastern side.

Stanley (pop. 100) is often cited in US weather reports as the coldest place in the US. One night in the early 1980's it got down to -55* F (-48* C). The weather in Boise is of course much more temperate.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dennis,

How's the weather, I know it got hot last week, but it seems like temperatures have been much less for the most part?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just got back from Boise. First thing, I want to thank Dennis for his help and showing me around Boise. Secondly, I was very impressed by what I experienced in Boise. I think it's a lovely city and the surrounding area is quite beautiful. It got up to the upper 90's while I was there and the heat bother me less than the mid-80's, humid conditions I experienced yesterday afternoon in Saginaw, Michigan. There is a difference in hot, dry heat versus hot, humid conditions. Hell, I felt the difference when I finally got to my car last night after midnight in Saginaw. The humidity in the air is quite relevant and this isn't even in the deep south, where it is almost unbearable to me. As to the people of Boise, very friendly which kind of caught me by surprise. I felt very comfortable there.

Anyhow, more to come, but one last thing. I love being two hours behind when it comes to watching sporting events on TV.:) Nothing like watching major sporting events at happy hour in some sports bar.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One more thing, I ran into Henry Winkler at the Boise Airport on Tuesday. I didn't ask for an autograph as I'm not into such things, but thought it was kind of funny seeing a celebrity there.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Robert's luck was pretty spotty. He booked on Delta, and arrived here when the largest forest fire in the US was blazing away only 40 miles NW. See http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/4866/ .

My gammy knee prevented my hosting to some degree. But Robert took things like a stalwart. Next time, no smoke and not dry pork chops.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I survived another Michigan Winter! Matter of fact, it was a very good winter in Mid-Michigan as it pertains to weather conditions. We had only 2 snow storms with as much as 6 inches of snow and that was way back in December. January and February were some of the warmest months on record here. I think in February our total snow fall for the whole month was less than 2 inches.

While Boise's weather appeared to be a lot colder and more snowy than what we had in January and February.:)

I haven't given up moving, but I'm making some major investments into my home theater so that has delayed me moving anywhere in the next year or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.