What's new

replace woofers or just surounds? BOSE 601 (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Andrew
Hi. i had a pair of old Bose 601 Series II speakers up in my attic for the past few years and just brought back down to use for my garage. unfortunately the speaker surrounds are totally TRASHED. all 8 tweeters sound good, but there is ZERO base. the 4 subs move, but don't produce any sound. will replacing the surrounds make them sound good again? or would new woofers be a better choice? The diaphragms move but feel a little sloppy, is this due to the missing surrounds or something worse?

Anyone else own a pair of these? from what i remember they sounded great back in the day!

Thanks

Andrew

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The woofers (they aren't subs) are probably fine. I recently re-foamed some 20 year old 6.5" and 15" drivers and they turned out great. It cost about $3 per 6" and $5 per 15". Search Ebay for foam suppliers because there are many and most have good prices.

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
As I remember the older Bose (non cube) speakers would benefit from re-foaming, and as Robert says you can find the foam supplies on e-bay. However, Bose never built a dominate or strong bass in their 201 to 901 speakers. Dr. Bose was a classical music guy.

It may be worth the effort and if it works you will have a decent par of garage speakers.

Real Name
Andrew
Thanks guys. I ordered the 4 surrounds from eBay for 15$ shipped. Let you know how it turns out! worst case is i have a bunch of powered subs i can hook up for a little more punch if the woofers dont hold their own.

thanks for the help

Real Name
Andrew
JUST SOME FOLLOW UP

I replaced the surrounds... not a big fan! lol. not only did the cone absorb a full bottle of supperglue per woofer, but getting those thing perfectly placed so as to eliminate coil rub was not very fun!! To top it off? the darn speaks sound like crap! threw in garage sale for 20$. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exorcist4713
Recent bookmarks